Overcast

Overcast

max temp: 5°C

min temp: -1°C

ESTD 1874 Search

Hadleigh: Mum almost dies after wasp sting

08:00 14 September 2013

Clare Hinsley was stung by a wasp and needed to be airlifted to hospital after going into anaphylactic shock

Clare Hinsley was stung by a wasp and needed to be airlifted to hospital after going into anaphylactic shock

Archant

A woman who nearly died after she was stung by a wasp has warned people with severe allergies to wear medical alert bracelets identifying their condition.

Clare Hinsley, 43, was walking with her partner Jeff Martin across fields near their Hadleigh home when one of her pet dogs unearthed a wasps’ nest in the ground.

The insects first swarmed around the dog and as it ran past Ms Hinsley, two of the wasps flew into her hair and stung her on the head. Just minutes later, she went into anaphylactic shock and had to be airlifted to hospital.

She said: “I knew that I had an allergy to wasp stings but the last time I reacted was 19 years ago and that time it was mainly a skin reaction so I managed to get it under control with antihistamine tablets. I had some tests earlier this year, which confirmed I was allergic to wasp stings so both Jeff and I were aware of it.

“But this time when I was stung, my hands and feet started to tingle, I felt ill, my breathing became shallow and my heartbeat was all over the place. According to Jeff, I sat down, my eyes rolled and I passed out, which was the anaphylaxis kicking in.”

Mr Martin called for assistance and a land ambulance and the air ambulance arrived at the scene shortly after. Paramedics administered a mix of steroids and adrenalin and airlifted Ms Hinsley to Ipswich Hospital.

“It was a real wake-up call and it’s frightening to think that if I had been on my own, I could have died,” added Ms Hinsley, who has two teenage sons. “Because we knew I was allergic to wasp stings, the doctors were able to treat me straight away, which is what saved my life. I have now been given an EpiPen auto-injector which contains a shot of adrenalin and I wear a medical alert bracelet which notifies anyone who finds me that I have a potentially serious medical condition.

“If I was on my own and had been found by a stranger, the bracelet could have alerted them to my allergy and it may have been a lifesaver in those circumstances. I would advise anyone with an allergy to wear one.”

2 comments

  • I'm no expert on hymenoptera, but I'd say the animals in the picture look more like dogs than wasps.

    Report this comment

    bigger niche

    Saturday, September 14, 2013

  • I'm no expert on hymenoptera, but I'd say the animals in the picture look more like dogs than wasps.

    Report this comment

    bigger niche

    Saturday, September 14, 2013

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

Friars Hall Nursing Home in Hadleigh has been ranked inadequate by inspectors.

A criminal investigation has been launched by police into a failing care home in Hadleigh at which a resident died.

On-call firefighters complete their training at RAF Wattisham.

A lorry has burst into flames following a crash with a car on the A14 westbound in Suffolk close to Needham Market.

The scene of the armed robbery outside the Halifax branch in The Newlands shopping centre in Witham. Pic: Nigel Brown.

Two serial armed robbers who raided banks in Witham and Great Dunmow received a warning today they could face life sentences.

Old Alderman Blaxhill School. Now The Stanway Federation Learning Centre.

Outline plans for a new 900 pupil secondary school in Colchester have been given the green light by Essex County Council.

Food inspectors (stock image).  Picture by Simon Finlay

Urgent improvements have been demanded of three food businesses in east Suffolk, according to hygiene inspection reports.

A person has died and another is seriously injured after an 'explosion in a boiler room' of a ship

A crewman has died after a boiler backfired in the engine room of the Manhattan Bridge container ship as it was docking at Felixstowe port last night – causing an “explosion”.

Cats Protection has said its staff will always carry ID when collecting cats.

Animal welfare charities in Suffolk have urged caution over who found pets are given to after reports of a woman in Ipswich posing as an animal welfare officer to obtain a cat found by a homeowner in their garden.

Most read

Great Days Out

cover

Click here to view
the Great Days Out
supplement

View
HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Streetlife

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

MyDate24 MyPhotos24