max temp: 7°C

min temp: 4°C

ESTD 1874 Search

Hadleigh: Undercover operation launched in response to spike in burglaries

06:00 23 November 2012

Police searching for missing man Mark Bewley reveal he has been found

Police searching for missing man Mark Bewley reveal he has been found

POLICE have been carrying out an undercover operation in Hadleigh to help curb the rising number of burglaries in the town in recent months.


There were ten recorded cases of burglary in Hadleigh during October – six of which were in business premises in the High Street. Five of the burglaries took place over two consecutive nights.

In previous months, similar incidencies have occurred in Lady Lane Industrial Estate where there were also three cases of lead theft from roofs. There have also been several reported incidents at a housing estate occupied by Armed Forces families.

At a recent town council meeting, Pc Matt Paisley reassured councillors who were concerned about the apparent hike in crime.

He said: “We have definitely experienced a rise in burglaries throughout October, and the crime figures in the past four weeks would suggest this trend is continuing. CID have been investigating the crimes on the High Street and we have several actions in place to tackle this.

“We have also been carrying out a plain- clothes operation between the hours of 10pm and 4am in the town as a means of crime prevention and reduction.” Councillor David Grutchfield said he was concerned the army estate had been “targeted” after the crime statistics showed the area had been hit by thieves an “abnormally high” number of times.

He added: “The estate is right on the A1071, which I think is one of the biggest contributing factors to the crime there. The families are just seeking some reassurance.”

Pc Paisley said: “Armed services families are used to living in a gated community, so that often makes them a bit more vulnerable.

“We have been working with the MoD and county welfare on a crime prevention package and we are trying to re-educate families, let them know that we are here to help and that they can contact us if they are concerned about anything.”

He confirmed police were working with the fire service to build offender profiles following three recorded arson incidents in Hadleigh during October.

After two further attacks including a car fire in Raven Way and a massive blaze at a fuel storage depot on Lady Lane Industrial Estate last Friday, investigations have been stepped up. Police have also been working with business owners on the estate on crime prevention measures.



The Rev Ian Finn

A Suffolk clergyman accused of a £12,000 fraud involving church fees will have to wait a further two 
weeks to find out if he is to face a retrial.

The incident happened in Duke Street (stock photo)

The victim of a violent attack during a party at an Ipswich flat has described how his arm was nearly cut off with a machete.

East Anglian Air Ambulance

The A134 at Assington is closed in both directions due to a serious single-vehicle crash.

The police investigation centre in Martlesham.

One woman was taken to hospital and 20 other people into police custody today after they were discovered in a lorry container.

Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne leaves the Treasury in London for the House of Commons, where Osborne will deliver his Autumn Statement. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Picture date: Wednesday December 3, 2014. See PA story BUDGET Main. Photo credit should read: Hannah McKay/PA Wire

Chancellor George Osborne will declare a crisis in home ownership as he unveils a raft of measures he claims will see 400,000 new homes built across England.

Man who appeared drunk in Sudbury taken to hospital.

A man was taken to hospital after he was seen staggering in a road in Sudbury.

Izzy Alder

An 18-year-old woman who failed to arrive at school today has been found.

Tidal Surge around Suffolk's coast has caused major disruptions. Huge waves crash over sea defences in Southwold.

A predicted combination of high spring tides and strong winds from the north-west later this week has sparked a warning of potential flooding in coastal Suffolk.

Undated handout photo issued by ITV of Kieron Dyer who has been revealed as one of the contestants for I'm A Celebrity ... Get Me Out Of Here! 2015. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Issue date: Tuesday November 10, 2015. Also among the 10-strong line-up is Diana Princess of Wales biographer Lady Colin Campbell, fashion guru Susannah Constantine, Spandau Ballet's Tony Hadley, TV personality Yvette Fielding, X Factor choreographer Brian Friedman and Union J's George Shelley. See PA story SHOWBIZ Celebrity. Photo credit should read: ITV/PA Wire

NOTE TO EDITORS: This handout photo may only be used in for editorial reporting purposes for the contemporaneous illustration of events, things or the people in the image or facts mentioned in the caption. Reuse of the picture may require further permission from the copyright holder.

Kieron Dyer was given a rare night of luxury after winning a stay at the Jungle Boutique Hotel, but tensions are running high in the I’m a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here camp.


Community leaders have chosen the organisation which will provide activities for the young people of a Suffolk market town as part of a £60,000-plus youth project.

Most read

Most commented

Topic pages

Local business directory

Our trusted business finder

Property search

e.g. Oxford or NW3
Powered by Zoopla

Digital Edition

Read the East Anglian Daily Times e-edition today E-edition

Great British Life

Great British Life
MyDate24 MyPhotos24