Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 21°C

min temp: 17°C

ESTD 1874 Search

The pigs have arrived. See the latest

Pigs Gone Wild

news here.

Haverhill: Fire in block of flats leaves men with burns and smoke inhalation injuries

10:35 25 July 2014

Fire in Ipswich

Fire in Ipswich

Archant

Two men suffered burns and smoke inhalation in a flat fire overnight in Haverhill.

Police were attending another incident in the town when they saw “thick black smoke” coming from the building off Queen’s Street in Drake’s Yard at around 12.50am.

The officers rushed to the flats and broke through the main communal door to gain entry. They then banged on the doors of each of the four flats. When they reached the third flat they broke down the door and made a search inside. But while that was going on the two male occupants of the fourth flat rushed outside shouting.

A force spokesman said: “These two people suffered smoke inhalation and burns but they are not life-threatening. They were treated by ambulance staff.

“It was not thought to be a suspicious fire – it may have been an electrical fire or caused by a cigarette.

“Emergency accommodation had to be found for some of the people. St Edmundsbury Borough Council had to get someone out to Haverhill to open the Haverhill Arts Centre at 3.30am.”

Chief inspector Kim Warner, policing commander for St Edmundsbury and Forest Heath, said: “This could have been a potentially tragic incident which was averted thanks to the quick actions of our officers.

“After seeing the smoke coming from the building they forced their way into the block, alerted the occupants of the flats and ensured everyone was evacuated safely.

“I commend everyone involved for their bravery in this incident, which is a great example of the different ways in which our officers respond to protect members of the public. I am really proud of each and every one of them.”

Two rapid response cars and an ambulance were dispatched. A spokesman for the service said: “Two men suffered smoke inhalation and one had burn injuries to his chest. Both were taken to Addenbrooke’s Hospital for further treatment and their conditions weren’t thought to be life threatening.”

The fire service was called sending three crews. A spokesman said: “On arrival the crews found there to be a fire in the second floor flat and used four breathing apparatus, two hose reels and a covering jet to fight the fire. The incident was under control by 2.11am. Two persons were treated for smoke inhalation and were conveyed to hospital.”

Crews eventually left the scene at around 4.30am.

Did you see what happened? Send photos to newsroom@archant.co.uk.

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other East Anglian Daily Times visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by East Anglian Daily Times staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique East Anglian Daily Times account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

The Premier Inn hotel in Bury St Edmunds - council teams stayed at the Bournemouth hotel

They may be based just yards from each other – but Suffolk County Council and Ipswich Borough had very different bills at the end of their annual visit to the nation’s main event for local authorities.

Registered sex offenders missing

Six of Suffolk’s 700-plus registered sex offenders are currently listed as missing, police have said.

Filming for the new BBC comedy drama 'Detectorists' in Framilngham. Mackenzie Crook on the set.

Film firm which has worked on Star Wars, The Apprentice, BFG and Jason Bourne films hopes to bring blockbusters to Suffolk

Essex Fire and Rescue has issued safety advice after the candle fire. Photo: David Stubbs

A candle left unattended in a bathroom has caused a house fire in Clacton.

South East Suffolk Magistrates' Court

A 20-year-old man from Ipswich has been charged with allegedly kicking a female police officer in the face and biting her male colleague.

Roadworks on Princes Street in Ipswich.

A year ago the Ipswich Vision was published – looking at how the town centre should be transformed to make it more attractive to shoppers and those looking for a day out.

BHS in Ipswich.

With BHS set to close across the country by the end of August, retail bosses and politicians are now looking for an alternative use for the large store in Ipswich’s Butter Market Street.

Most read

Great Days Out

cover

Click here to view
the Great Days Out
supplement

View

Most commented

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Streetlife

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Great British Life

Great British Life
MyDate24 MyPhotos24