Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 15°C

min temp: 9°C

ESTD 1874 Search

The pigs are coming. Find out more about

Pigs Gone Wild

here.

Hawkedon: Lorry fire outside Rede Road vets spread to barn containing liquid nitrogen

17:45 28 March 2014

Archant

A wooden barn has been destroyed in a blaze that spread from a lorry fire outside a veterinary surgery in Suffolk.

Five fire engines and aerial rescue equipment was sent to the blaze, which started in Rede Road, Hawkedon, at around 11.40am today.

Early reports suggested there was liquid nitrogen inside the burning barn and so a hazardous materials response was co-ordinated. Crews later confirmed that the liquid nitrogen had been safely removed from the building.

Firefighters spent several hours battling the blaze and used the multistar aerial appliance to remove the two storey barn’s roof.

Suffolk Fire and Rescue said the vehicle where the fire started was completely destroyed along with the barn roof and 75% of the remainder of the building.

The fire was put out by 2.10pm although one crew was still on site two hours later.

0 comments

Tia-Jade Webb after her weight loss, pictured with Iwan Thomas.

A 21-year-old from Suffolk is celebrating after being named as one of the best slimmers in the country.

Chris Packham, Michaela Strachan and Martin Hughes-Games will be broadcasting Springwatch  live from RSPB Minsmere again this year

Suffolk’s thriving tourism sector is gearing up for a summer of spectacular success as hordes of holidaymakers are expected to be lured to the county’s coast by the “phenomenal” Springwatch effect.

The EADT Sports for Schools vouchers are ready to be counted.

A share of a £10,000 cash windfall for sports equipment is to be awarded to three schools in the coming weeks as the final count for the Sports for Schools competition gets underway.

Drink-drivers in court

A disqualified driver who committed his third drink-driving offence only 18 days before the end of a three-year ban has been spared jail.

Petrol prices

Here are the latest petrol prices in and around Ipswich according to petrolprices.com.

Essex Fire and Rescue has issued safety advice after the chip pan fire. Photo: David Stubbs

A man in Clacton suffered smoke inhalation after a chip pan fire in Boxted Avenue last night.

Beryl Harding celebrated her 105th birthday on Monday

“I’m here to take some lovely photos of you,” beams our photographer.

Most read

Great Days Out

cover

Click here to view
the Great Days Out
supplement

View

Most commented

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Streetlife

Newsletter Sign Up

Great British Life

Great British Life
MyDate24 MyPhotos24