max temp: 12°C

min temp: 8°C

ESTD 1874 Search

Holbrook: Former headteacher Martyn Berry admits sexually assaulting girl, 16

19:17 01 September 2014

Martyn Berry

Martyn Berry

The career of a former Suffolk headmaster is in tatters after he admitted sexually assaulting a 16-year-old girl.

Martyn Berry, who was brought in as a “superhead” to turn Holbrook High School around, had denied three offences of sexual activity with a child under 16 and two offences of sexual assault and was due to go on trial today.

However, he pleaded guilty to one offence of sexual assault between November 1 2012 and December 20 2012 and the remaining charges were left on the court file.

Judge David Goodin said Berry had brushed the girl’s breast over her clothing with the back of his hand and described it as being at “more at the mildest end of the scale” for this type of offence.

He said Berry’s career would be in tatters as a result of his guilty plea. He was given a 22 week jail sentence, suspended for two years, and will be on the sex offenders’ register for seven years.

Berry, 61, of Stockton-on-Tees, Cleveland, was parachuted in to take over Holbrook High School from its previous headteacher after the school was placed in special measures.

It followed an announcement which was made stating an external headteacher would be appointed at the school after a damning Ofsted inspection three months earlier.

After the report was completed, Berry acted as an advisor to the school until he was formally chosen to take over its running.

Over the years Berry had gained a reputation for delivering marked and rapid improvement at a number of schools around the country and was strongly recommended by the Department of Education.

Previously Berry had turned around The River Leen School in Nottingham, which is now known as The Bulwell Academy.

His work there was credited with leading pupils to improved exam results and getting the school on an even financial keel after it recovered from a half-a-million pound deficit.

It is also understood that Berry had been a headteacher in Middlesbrough before that.


Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other East Anglian Daily Times visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by East Anglian Daily Times staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique East Anglian Daily Times account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Picture of Ellough Park Raceway. Owner Nick Gill is hoping to expand the track so they can hold national Karting championships and attract motorsport businesses to the stie. Photo: Angela Sharpe Copy: Sarah Brealey For: EDP EDP pics © 2006 (01603) 772434

The man who died while celebrating his brother’s birthday at a Suffolk go-karting track suffered a traumatic chest injury, the opening of his inquest has heard.

Saskia Clark party at Mersea Yacht Club on Sunday night as she returns home with her gold medal from Olympics

Two Essex mothers have received strong support online after launching a campaign to bid farewell to one of the county’s biggest stereotypes,

CCTV of an aggravated burgury in Bury St Edmunds

Police are hunting two tracksuited robbers who held up a branch of the Co-op last night.

Empty classroom

Education bosses in Suffolk have welcomed latest figures which mark the county’s highest school attendance record in the last decade.

David Wood, 61, from Woodbridge, went missing while walking in the French Alps in August. Pictured: David Wood and his Wife Valerie Armstrong

The wife of a Woodbridge man who went missing while walking in France three months ago says she has been ‘wrapped in a cloak of love’ by people in the town since his disappearance.

Kim Sale has had her leg amputated to save her life from cance. She is now officially in remission. Kim is pictured at her home in Kesgrave with mum, Kellie Thorndyke.

An anonymous donor has handed £20,000 to a Suffolk charity helping disabled youngsters and families affected by cancer in what was labelled “an overwhelming act of kindness”.

The incident happened near the Orwell Bridge. File photo

Councillors in Ipswich are set to find out how successful speed restrictions on the Orwell Bridge have been on Thursday, when the Highways Agency will present its findings.

Most read

Great Days Out


Click here to view
the Great Days Out


Most commented


Show Job Lists


Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

MyDate24 MyPhotos24