May 19 2013 Latest news:
By Tom Potter
Tuesday, March 12, 2013
Hollesley: Family still ‘convinced’ answer to disappearance mystery lies locally
THE mother of a Suffolk teenager who went missing almost seven years ago spoke of her “disappointment” last night as two men arrested in connection with his murder were freed without charge.
But Nicki Durbin said she remains convinced that someone local knows something that can help explain what happened to her son Luke, who was 19 when reported missing on May 13, 2006, after failing to return from a night out with friends in Ipswich.
The investigation took a dramatic turn last summer following the arrest of a 41-year-old man on suspicion of murder, and a 26-year-old man on suspicion of being concerned in the former Farlingaye High School pupil’s murder.
But police yesterday announced that both will face no further action against them at this stage.
Ms Durbin, from Hollesley, near Woodbridge, said: “The investigation has been very traumatic at every step and the last nine months have been particularly difficult for myself and my family. This does not stop for us.
“We finally felt like we were getting somewhere and might possibly find out what happened to Luke. We are very disappointed that nothing has come from the arrests but still strongly believe that someone locally knows what happened.
“Even if someone thinks they have a very small bit of information, I would appeal for them to come forward and contact the investigation team.”
In 2010 the investigation was taken over by the major investigation team. Since then, police have also said they believe someone living locally holds the key to finding out what happened to Luke.
Detectives are now renewing their appeal for information after bail was cancelled for both men arrest in connection with Luke’s disappearance. Both had been twice re-bailed pending further enquiries since their arrests.
Ms Durbin had previously been critical of the police investigation into Luke’s disappearance, believing it should have been turned into a murder enquiry. But she praised the major investigation team for its work leading up to, and since the arrests on June 27 last year, adding: “The police have kept me informed of everything that’s happening - they have been fantastic in that way.
“Before the arrests I personally didn’t think the police were doing enough but I am now very confident that the major investigation team are doing all they can.”
Luke was last seen at around 4am on Friday, May 12, 2006, when he was spotted on CCTV in Dogs Head Street, Ipswich, heading towards the bus station following a night out with friends at what was then Zest nightclub.
A witness also reported seeing Luke in Woodbridge, in a dark blue Renault Megane being driven by a black man, at some point between 11am and 2pm on Saturday, May 13, near to the rear entrance to the Turban Centre car park.
Detective Superintendent John Brocklebank, from the joint Norfolk and Suffolk major investigation team, said: “I remain determined to find out what happened to Luke after his disappearance in May 2006. Our enquiries are continuing and even almost seven years after he disappeared we are still receiving information about Luke, which we are following up, and piecing together.
“Someone out there knows what has happened to him, and for the sake of his family and close friends we will do everything we can do find out those details.”
Anyone with information is asked to contact the joint Norfolk and Suffolk major investigation team on 101 or anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.