Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 13°C

min temp: 8°C

Search

Ingham: Caring Connie thrilled with new hair cut

PUBLISHED: 10:08 26 May 2014

Connie Balaam, four,  sacrificed her long, blonde hair in aid of East Anglia'’s Children'’s Hospices (EACH).

Connie Balaam, four, sacrificed her long, blonde hair in aid of East Anglia'’s Children'’s Hospices (EACH).

Archant

A caring little girl who volunteered to sacrifice her long blonde locks to support a local charity is “thrilled to bits” with her new haircut, according to her proud mum.

Connie Balaam, from Ingham, near Bury St Edmunds, who is just four years old, had all 11 inches of her crowning glory chopped off in aid of East Anglia’s Children’s Hospices (EACH).

The hair will go to the Little Princess Trust, which makes wigs for children suffering hair loss through cancer treatment.

The hospice helps to provide ongoing care to Connie’s 16-year-old sister Madi, who has several complex health conditions including Noonan’s syndrome, epilepsy and two heart conditions, and requires specialist round-the-clock care.

Despite her tender years, Connie – who also has a six-year-old brother Noah and a 20-year-old brother Toby – came up with the idea to donate her hair after seeing a story about a little girl in America who cut off her hair to make wigs for sick children.

And her parents Sharon and Adrian Balaam could not be more proud.

Mrs Balaam said Connie’s super-stylish new bob haircut, created at CC’s Hair Art, in St John’s Street, Bury St Edmunds, was an instant hit.

She said: “Connie grinned the whole time it was being cut off and she just loved her new hair style. She doesn’t regret it at all and keeps saying a little girl or boy is going to be able to have hair because of what she’s done.

“I am so proud of her that at her age, she has the understanding and caring gene that makes her want to do something so special for other people.”

So far, Connie has also raised £600. To donate, go to justgiving.com and search for Connie’s haircut.

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other East Anglian Daily Times visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by East Anglian Daily Times staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique East Anglian Daily Times account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

A 333 mile journey home for the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation finished on Saturday when the Hike4Hopey charity walkers arrived at St James’ Park, Newcastle.

Seven suspected Ukrainian illegal immigrants have been arrested after their yacht ran aground on the Suffolk coast today.

Several people were stuck for reportedly more than an hour on a ride at the Cymbeline Meadow fair, Colchester.

Family of a Suffolk man who died from a brain tumour have attended a ceremony to open a Quiet Room in his memory at Addenbrooke’s Hospital.

A spring cleaning campaign across west Suffolk has seen volunteers litter pick and remove more than 460 bags of waste from public open spaces.

Firefighters tackled a “needless” blaze at the former Manganese Bronze plant in Ipswich on Sunday night.

The fire in the top floor of the two-storey derelict building, behind houses on Hadleigh Road, was caused by trespassers.
 The fire was reported at around 5.30pm on April 30 and six crews, including an aerial appliance, were expected to battle the blaze for several hours last night.
 Station Commander Jon Southgate, of Princes Street station, said the fire was caused by someone deliberately or accidentally setting the fire.
 “There are numerous discarded needles around the site and from experience we know there will be needles inside as well,” he said. “We will not be entering the building because I want to ensure the safety of our firefighters. 
 “It is a shame that we are now going to have four crews fighting a completely needless and preventable fire.”

It may have been a forgettable season finish for Blues fans at Portman Road on Saturday – but one moment of magic should cheer even the most desolate of supporters.

Most read

Eating Out in the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Eating Out
supplement

View

Visit the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Visit the Broads
supplement

View
HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24