Overcast

Overcast

max temp: 3°C

min temp: 1°C

Search

Ipswich: 37-year-old arrested after toddler run over has bail cancelled

PUBLISHED: 09:00 17 February 2014 | UPDATED: 10:24 17 February 2014

Flora tributes left at Lovetofts Drive Recreation Ground, Ipswich, after the death of a toddler

Flora tributes left at Lovetofts Drive Recreation Ground, Ipswich, after the death of a toddler

Archant

Police have cancelled the bail of a man who was arrested following the death of a toddler in Lovetofts Drive, Ipswich, last summer.

Ryan Ward, 20 months old, from Newry, County Down, Northern Ireland, was killed after being struck by a van in a playing field in the Westbourne area on July 23 last year.

After the accident a 37-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of causing death by careless driving.

The man, of no fixed abode, was taken into custody at Martlesham Police Investigation Centre where he was interviewed by officers before being released on bail.

However it has now emerged that his bail has been cancelled, suggesting no further action will be taken against the man. The police are awaiting the conclusion of an inquest into the child’s death before finishing their investigation.

A large group of travellers had set up camp on the playing field just off Lovetofts Drive last July. The accident took place in the early afternoon of July 23 at which point the child was driven in the van to the police base in nearby Landmark House.

A Suffolk police spokesman said: “It appears that immediately after the collision the child was put in to the vehicle and it was driven to Landmark House, where police officers attempted to resuscitate the child.”

However the child could not be saved and he was pronounced dead a short time later.

Ambulance crews from the East of England Ambulance Service and the East Anglian Air Ambulance were sent to the scene at Landmark House.

EEAST spokesman Gary Sanderson said at the time: “First and foremost our thoughts are with the family of the child involved at this very tragic time.”

He added: “Following extensive treatment at the roadside by land and air ambulance crews, the child was pronounced dead at the scene.”

Police cordoned off the area where the incident occurred, close to caravans on the field, and a cordon has also been put around the vehicle at Landmark House.

Shortly after the child’s death a large convoy of travellers arrived at the site.

Snow could fall in parts of Suffolk this morning as temperatures dropped overnight.

Trains between London and Norwich are being cancelled this morning as a result of engineering work not having been completed on time.

Police and firefighters were called to a suspected arson attack in Carlton Colville in the early hours of this morning.

Police are searching for a 52-year-old man from Leavenheath who has been reported missing.

Police have arrested a 66-year-old man in connection with an incident that caused armed officers to swoop on Ipswich town centre tonight.

Highways bosses have announced they will be carrying out a series of improvements to the road network across Suffolk and north Essex this week.

Kebab fans will be excited to hear a new fast food outlet that prides itself on making top quality versions of the takeaway staple is opening in Ipswich soon.

Most read

Eating Out in the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Eating Out
supplement

View

Visit the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Visit the Broads
supplement

View

London Boat Show 2018

cover

Click here to view
London Boat
Show supplement

View

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24