Overcast

Overcast

max temp: 6°C

min temp: 2°C

Search

Ipswich: Building contractor handed hefty fine after exposing homeowner and workers to asbestos

PUBLISHED: 13:07 21 May 2014 | UPDATED: 13:07 21 May 2014

Ipswich Magistrates' Court

Ipswich Magistrates' Court

Archant

An Ipswich building contractor has been fined after it exposed workers and homeowners to potentially fatal asbestos material during work on a garage extension at a home in the town.

Columbus Building Contractors Ltd was hired by the homeowners to carry out a single-storey front garage extension and a kitchen conversion to the property in Fountains Road.

South East Suffolk Magistrates’ Court was told yesterday that the garage, an integral part of the home, had an asbestos insulating board (AIB) ceiling that formed a fire break between it and the rest of the house.

During the conversion work, which took place between May 8 and August 2, 2012, the boards were removed, broken up and left on the homeowner’s front lawn.

The debris was placed into open bags before one of the homeowners took it to the tip in his car, where the possibility of asbestos was identified.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigated and prosecuted the company for breaching asbestos safety regulations.

The court was told a licensed contractor had to undertake waste removal of the remaining asbestos material and conduct an environmental clean under fully-controlled conditions.

Columbus Building Contractors Ltd, of Crofton Road, Ipswich, was fined a total of £10,000 and ordered to pay £6,000 in costs after pleading guilty to breaching regulations 8(1) and 11(1)(a) of the Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012.

Speaking after the hearing, HSE Inspector Adam Hills said: “This is an incident that was entirely preventable. Columbus Building Contractors had worked with this type of material before and had asbestos knowledge.

“They questioned the presence of asbestos materials in the ceiling but made no efforts to obtain an asbestos survey or take samples for analysis to establish if asbestos was contained within the ceiling.

“After removal, the asbestos material was simply left on the front lawn before being bagged in open sacks and transported to the local tip by the homeowner. Both the workers and homeowner would have been exposed to a significant amount of asbestos fibres during these works.

“It is absolutely essential that assumptions are not made when dealing with suspected asbestos materials. If in doubt, get it checked by a professional before starting any work.

“The dangers of exposure are well-known in the industry. There are long-term health risks associated with inhalation of asbestos fibres including lung cancer and mesothelioma.”

Commuters on the A14 eastbound are facing delays after an accident near Newmarket involving two vehicles.

A cyber criminal from Colchester has admitted running a product testing service which allowed hackers to see whether their malicious software could beat anti-virus scanners.

Has the bubble burst for shoppers in Bury St Edmunds?

What do you think when you hear the phrase “Essex girl”? - writes Lauren Hockney.

Fewer vulnerable people across the region will go hungry thanks to the opening of a new food distribution hub in Ipswich.

Essex County Council is set to put its element of tax bills up by almost 5% from April as it prepares for the day when financial help from the government ceases.

The University of Suffolk has announced Professor Helen Langton will succeed Richard Lister OBE as vice-chancellor this summer.

Most read

Eating Out in the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Eating Out
supplement

View

Visit the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Visit the Broads
supplement

View

London Boat Show 2018

cover

Click here to view
London Boat
Show supplement

View

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24