Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 20°C

min temp: 13°C

Search

Ipswich/Felixstowe: Motorcyclist gets second drink-driving ban

PUBLISHED: 17:13 24 January 2013 | UPDATED: 17:13 24 January 2013

Motorcyclist banned again

Motorcyclist banned again

Archant

A SUGAR factory worker has been banned from the road after being caught drink-driving for the second time in three years.

Mihails Arsilovskis, of Surrey Road, Ipswich, was nearly three times the legal alcohol when he was seen riding a motorcycle on December 30. The 22-year-old pleaded guilty at South East Suffolk Magistrates’ Court to driving a motor vehicle while above the alcohol limit.

Prosecutor Lesla Small said police officers saw Arsilovskis pushing a motorcycle.

They told him that as he was under the influence of alcohol it would be illegal for him to ride the R125 Yamaha.

The court was told Ipswich town centre’s CCTV camera operators kept an eye on Arsilovskis, and saw him sit astride the Yamaha. A passenger also got on the vehicle.

Arsilovskis rode off into Princes Street where he was stopped by a police officer. A breath test showed he had 101 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath. The legal limit is 35mcgs.

Magistrates heard Arsilovskis had previously been sentenced for drink-driving in September 2009.

The court was told a warrant was out for his arrest at the time of his latest court appearance, as he had not paid any of the fines relating to his 2009 conviction.

He was disqualified from driving for three years, and given a 12-month community order with an 80-hour unpaid work requirement.

Arsilovskis must also pay £60 to the victims’ fund and £85 costs.

In a separate case Jacek Zalega, of Holland Road, Felixstowe, admitted failing to provide a breath specimen.

The court heard he was seen drinking from a can in his vehicle in a car park in Felixstowe on December 27.

Zalega was asked to take a breath-test, but the Polish-national said he did not understand and refused to do so.

Language Line, an interpreter service was contacted, but two further requests were declined by the 42-year-old.

When he was arrested, police found several empty cans in his car.

Magistrates were told Zalega had lost his job and was depressed at the time.

It was said he was only moving the car a few streets away so he could walk home.

He was disqualified from driving for 12 months and ordered to pay costs and fines of £170.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Greater Anglia passengers have become happier about their journeys over the last year according to a new survey by the official watchdog Transport Focus.

Emergency services treated a man for suspected leg injuries after he became trapped between two cars at an industrial premises in Needham Market this morning.

Primary school pupils left the classroom barefooted in a symbolic show of support for children without shoes around the world.

A charity supporting West Suffolk Hospital has launched its biggest ever fundraising campaign in a bid to fund a diagnostic unit at a new cardiac centre being built at the Bury St Edmunds site.

An ‘outstanding’ Suffolk school will be welcoming younger children when lessons resume after the summer holidays.

A 52-year-old drink-driver who hit a cemetery wall before leaving 400 homes without power after hitting a sub station has been banned from driving for 20 months.

Safety failings uncovered by health inspectors at an Essex care home put residents at risk of being trapped inside if the building caught fire, a new report warns.

Most read

Eating Out in the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Eating Out
supplement

View

Visit the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Visit the Broads
supplement

View

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24