Ipswich: Man rescued from house fire after bin set alight and ‘pushed against door’ in Hadleigh Road
PUBLISHED: 13:56 12 June 2014
A man was rescued from a house fire in Ipswich last night.
Firefighters were called to reports a bin set alight had been pushed against the door of a property in Hadleigh Road shortly before 11.45pm.
The occupant, a man in his 40s, was unaware of the blaze and was pulled to safety by fire crews, a Suffolk Constabulary spokesman said.
He did not sustain any injuries and although paramedics attended he did not require hospital treatment.
It is thought he was the only person inside the house at the time of the blaze.
The fire was put out shortly after midnight.
The incident is being treated as suspicious, the police spokesman added.
He said: “It was not a significant fire. The man in his 40s was believed to be the only occupant. He was not aware of the fire before firefighters broke in and took him outside. The main issue was the smoke.”
A Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “Two crews from Princes Street and one crew from Ipswich Street attended the incident.
“One person (was) rescued and all other persons (were) accounted for.
“(Crews used) two breathing apparatus, one hose-reel jet and one covering jet to extinguish the fire.”
Witnesses or people with information are urged to come forward. People who saw anyone acting suspiciously in the area last night are also asked to contact police. Call 101.