Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 21°C

min temp: 13°C


Ipswich: Man who died in Orwell Bridge fall named as 24-year-old Aaron Coote

PUBLISHED: 10:04 07 April 2014 | UPDATED: 10:04 07 April 2014

Orwell Bridge

Orwell Bridge


An inquest is due to be opened this week into the death of Aaron Coote who fell to his death from the Orwell Bridge last Tuesday.

Mr Coote, 24, of Ipswich, was spotted climbing on the parapet at around 11.30am last Tuesday.

His death has prompted moved to overhaul safety at the Orwell Bridge with Ipswich MP Ben Gummer claiming the Highways Agency have failed to address concerns over previous fatalities and incidents.

A Highways Agency spokesman said it would give “serious consideration” to the points raised by Mr Gummer, adding: “The Orwell Bridge provides an important public right of way across the bridge for pedestrians wishing to cross the estuary. The walls are 1.25m high, which is sufficient to prevent people from accidentally falling.”

Mr Coote’s inquest is scheduled to be opened at Ip-City in Bath Street, Ipswich, on Wednesday.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

A north Essex hospice has unveiled plans to build a nursing home in a coastal Essex town – in a move that would make it the first hospice in the country to run such a facility.

Cabinet members at Suffolk County Council are to get above-inflation rises in their allowances after members of the authority backed a new payment scheme.

The family of missing man Corrie McKeague believe a criminal investigation should take place if he is not found by police searching landfill for the RAF gunner.

One of the best-known further education colleges in Suffolk has vowed to improve after getting a damning report from Ofsted inspectors.

Motorists heading to the A134 are being told to expect delays following two road traffic collisions in the area this evening.

A paramedic for the East of England Ambulance Service has been suspended for six months on grounds of misconduct for failing to provide the correct care to a patient whose heart had stopped.

Family of a seven-year-old Ipswich boy, who died after equipment monitoring his breathing was turned off for almost three hours at a private London hospital, are preparing to take legal action.

Most read

Eating Out in the Broads


Click here to view
the Eating Out


Visit the Broads


Click here to view
the Visit the Broads


Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24