Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 13°C

min temp: 8°C

Search

Ipswich/Stowmarket: Questions over death of man who jumped from Orwell Bridge will remain unanswered, says coroner

PUBLISHED: 17:42 05 March 2014 | UPDATED: 17:42 05 March 2014

Orwell Bridge

Orwell Bridge

Archant

An inquest has heard how a man who jumped from the Orwell Bridge died of multiple injuries.

Cedric Brackenbury, of Bacton, near Stowmarket, was seen on the bridge by passers-by on November 11 last year and police were called by a member of the public who said they saw him disappear over the side.

The inquest heard how Mr Brackenbury, 62, had fallen from the bridge before police arrived, landing in water.

A statement made by Mr Brackenbury’s wife Lorraine was read out saying the couple’s 40-year marriage had been a good one and she was unable to give any explanation why what happened on that day occurred.

Kevin McCarthy, senior assistant coroner for Suffolk, said: “I have to be satisfied beyond all reasonable doubt he intended to take his own life. I am so satisfied.

“Sometimes these things are without explanation and I think there are many things here which will remain unanswered.

“I give my sincere condolences to all of the family.”

0 comments

A 333 mile journey home for the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation finished on Saturday when the Hike4Hopey charity walkers arrived at St James’ Park, Newcastle.

Seven suspected Ukrainian illegal immigrants have been arrested after their yacht ran aground on the Suffolk coast today.

Several people were stuck for reportedly more than an hour on a ride at the Cymbeline Meadow fair, Colchester.

It may have been a forgettable season finish for Blues fans at Portman Road on Saturday – but one moment of magic should cheer even the most desolate of supporters.

Firefighters tackled a “needless” blaze at the former Manganese Bronze plant in Ipswich on Sunday night.

The fire in the top floor of the two-storey derelict building, behind houses on Hadleigh Road, was caused by trespassers.
 The fire was reported at around 5.30pm on April 30 and six crews, including an aerial appliance, were expected to battle the blaze for several hours last night.
 Station Commander Jon Southgate, of Princes Street station, said the fire was caused by someone deliberately or accidentally setting the fire.
 “There are numerous discarded needles around the site and from experience we know there will be needles inside as well,” he said. “We will not be entering the building because I want to ensure the safety of our firefighters. 
 “It is a shame that we are now going to have four crews fighting a completely needless and preventable fire.”

Family of a Suffolk man who died from a brain tumour have attended a ceremony to open a Quiet Room in his memory at Addenbrooke’s Hospital.

A spring cleaning campaign across west Suffolk has seen volunteers litter pick and remove more than 460 bags of waste from public open spaces.

Most read

Eating Out in the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Eating Out
supplement

View

Visit the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Visit the Broads
supplement

View
HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24