Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 23°C

min temp: 12°C

ESTD 1874 Search

Ipswich: Alleyway rape accused claimed woman forced him into having sex, court told

11:05 05 August 2014

Police guard the scene of the alleged rape in Cromer Road, Ipswich.

Police guard the scene of the alleged rape in Cromer Road, Ipswich.

Archant

A 21-year-old man claimed that the woman he is accused of raping pressured him into having sex, a court has heard.

shares

Mohammed Sabir, of Westholme Road, Ipswich, denies dragging the 27-year-old female into an alleyway next to his father’s home and raping her.

At the opening of Sabir’s trial, prosecutor Emma Nash said the incident took place at around 8.30pm on March 3 as the woman was walking along Cromer Road.

The jury heard the woman told police she was approached by a foreign man who was using gestures so she could understand. He asked her for the time, but she said she was unable to tell him.

Miss Nash said it was alleged Sabir grabbed the female, told her he wanted “jiggy jiggy” which she understood to be some sort of sexual activity.

The complainant also told police Sabir made a comment about English women being easy.

The court was told Sabir then forced the woman into an alleyway and raped her. Miss Nash said: “During this incident she was telling him to get off of her.

“He was telling her ‘no, stay still or I will hurt you’.”

After the incident the woman was said to have gone into a shop to buy something, before going to a chip shop and then going to her boyfriend’s home from where police were called.

Subsequent tests found DNA on the woman and her jeans matched Sabir’s.

Miss Nash said the probability of it matching by chance was one in a million.

Sabir was arrested three days later.

In two interviews with police he denied ever seeing the woman and said he had not had sex with anyone that night.

A third interview was due to begin on March 7. But before it started Sabir was given the results of the DNA testing.

The court was told he accepted he had lied throughout the first two interviews and admitted having sex with the woman. However, he denied it was rape.

Miss Nash said: “He said she asked him for sex, but wanted money for sex. She asked for three or four pounds to have sex with him and he said that having initially refused the devil cheated him.

“He felt pressured by her and he did in fact have sex.”

The jury was heard Sabir told police he was scared and although he did not think he could have sex with the woman he was frightened she might attack him.

He added he was scared she might give him diseases or that he might be reported and get into trouble. Sabir also said he had been worried about going to prison.

The trial continues.

shares

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other East Anglian Daily Times visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by East Anglian Daily Times staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique East Anglian Daily Times account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

An artist's impression of the new heritage centre.

A proposal to develop a new £17m heritage centre to hold most of Suffolk’s Records at Ipswich’s UCS campus is expected to be endorsed by the county’s cabinet next week.

A double lightining strike has hit and destroyed a house. Darren Hobson surveys the damage. Picture: Stephen Huntley.

A hero father-of-six who led his family to safety following a lightning strike to his home has praised his neighbours’ support.

Stuart Cullen, from the Lowestoft area, who died in the terrorist attack in Tunisia.

The family of a man who died in the Tunisian massacre have paid tribute to their “third musketeer”.

Joy Poppy, aged 82, who died following a collision in Woodbridge on July 1

Mrs Poppy died after a collision in New Street, Woodbridge, on Wednesday.

Libby Brown headteacher at Kyson Primary, Woodbridge.

A board of school governors has launched a fierce attack on Suffolk County Council after their headteacher had to stop work for seven weeks.

BBC Radio Suffolk's Mark Murphy with one of the Scamnesty bids

A Suffolk Trading Standards Scamnesty campaign is using special bins across the county in a bid to snare unscrupulous conmen.

Cedar House, Pytches Road, Melton - set to have ten new homes in its grounds.

Developers who have bought a prime site on the edge of Woodbridge from the district council expect to submit proposals to create new homes next month.

Beach patrol rescue spaniels from Clacton beach.
Owner and her dogs.

A beach patrol team at Clacton swung into action to rescue two dogs yesterday evening.

Police in Ipswich are investigating a number of incidents where eggs were thrown at people and buildings in the town.

Culford Girls under 18 Hockey Team January 1990

Were you a member of the Culford girls under 18 hockey team in January 1990. Were you in the squad photographed here?

Most read

Most commented

Topic pages