Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 8°C

min temp: 5°C

ESTD 1874 Search

Ipswich: Driving menace John Moir spared prison for 44th disqualified driving offence despite being jailed last year

13:13 10 April 2014

John Moir

John Moir

A leading road safety charity has called for tougher sentences after serial offender John Moir was spared jail for flouting a driving ban for the 44th time.

shares

Moir, of Fore Street, Ipswich, was given a suspended prison sentence by the town’s magistrates despite being jailed for 10 months last year for his 43rd driving while disqualified offence and two counts of theft.

He was also imprisoned in 2011 and 2012 after driving while disqualified.

Moir now has more than 220 previous offences to his name. In 2010 he almost killed pedestrian Simon Jacobs in a hit and run in Ipswich, after running a red light while banned from the road.

When Moir appeared before magistrates last year the court heard he described his disregard for bans to police as “a game of cat and mouse”. He had also told officers “Going to prison won’t stop me.”

Following that case Mr Jacobs said: “He has left me with a life sentence, I will never get over my injuries.

“It is only a matter of time before he kills someone.”

At Moir’s latest sentencing the 47-year-old was given 16 weeks’ imprisonment suspended for 12 months after admitting driving while disqualified, having no insurance and careless driving.

Afterwards Ed Morrow, campaigns officer for road safety charity Brake, said: “Drivers who flout bans are making a mockery of the justice system.

“We cannot keep on allowing drivers, who have repeatedly proven they have no respect for the law or for the lives of others, back onto the road.

“We need the government to get tough with serial offenders by giving judges the power to hand out higher sentences, up to two years, for those who are repeatedly caught driving while disqualified.”

Magistrates had been told plain clothes police in an unmarked car followed Moir’s Vauxhall Astra on March 14.

As he drove along Linstead Road near Cratfield, close to Halesworth, Moir repeatedly locked the vehicle’s brakes and almost lost control on bends.

At one stage the Vauxhall was travelling at 50mph in a 30mph zone.

When eventually stopped Moir moved into the passenger seat where his partner had been sitting, but was still arrested because of his previous crimes.

Claire Hullock, mitigating, said Moir’s then partner had been driving but became upset when she got lost. Moir decided she was in no condition to drive and took over.

Miss Hullock said her client was remorseful and realised what he did was unacceptable.

Chairman of the bench Leisha Clein said magistrates had taken Moir’s guilty pleas and several references into account.

In addition to the suspended sentence Moir was banned from driving until October 2016, ordered to complete 240 hours’ unpaid work and must pay £80 to the victims’ fund

Ms Clein added: “If you drive while disqualified for whatever reason there is a good chance you will be going into custody.”

shares

9 comments

  • Mr Moir, do you not have any shame?

    Report this comment

    RC

    Thursday, April 10, 2014

  • Don't worry when he kills some one the magistrates might I say might put him away ,and as for a 30 MTh ban it should be for life , £80 victims surcharge is a joke also I got fined £60 for doing just 5miles over the speed limit taking someone to A&E at ipswich hospital after 50 years with a clean licence .

    Report this comment

    pandy

    Thursday, April 10, 2014

  • 'Going to prison won't stop me' actually it will.... for the time you are inside anyway!

    Report this comment

    ElaineD17

    Thursday, April 10, 2014

  • And thats why Car Insurance is so high.

    Report this comment

    Ipswich Man

    Thursday, April 10, 2014

  • Sentencing for motoring offences is a scandal. On the rare occasions the law is actually enforced and the CPS can be bothered to prosecute the punishment dealt out will be an insult to any victims.

    Report this comment

    IanW

    Thursday, April 10, 2014

  • This is an insult to anyoe who has been injured or killed by an unlicensed or uninsured driver. This man doesnt need a long sentance, just a few months in a cell with the aftermath, injuries of and victioms of car accidents projected on his cell wall 24 hours a day until the message sinks in.

    Report this comment

    Sentinel Red

    Thursday, April 10, 2014

  • Oh come on you unreasonable lot be fair on the man, after all it is only his 44th offence for the same thing!

    Report this comment

    england1770

    Thursday, April 10, 2014

  • Crime and punishment....what a joke! Who decides the sentencing? Andy Pandy? The whole process is flaccid.

    Report this comment

    Supernova6

    Thursday, April 10, 2014

  • No it's not me that decides the sentence if it was it would have been 10 years hard labour

    Report this comment

    pandy

    Thursday, April 10, 2014

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

Annie Munson of Bury St Edmunds' Women's Aid refuge centre

For women suffering the cruelty of domestic abuse, Christmas can be anything but a time of goodwill.

Klaudia Sokolowska was last seen at her home address in Unicorn Place, Bury St Edmunds, shortly before 4.30pm on Friday and has not been seen since.

A 15-year-old girl from Bury St Edmunds has gone missing.

Town fans at QPR's Loftus Road ground on Saturday

There was late heartbreak for Ipswich Town’s 3,000 travelling fans as the Blues went down 1-0 at Queens Park Rangers.

Police were called to an address in Wingate Close on Saturday morning

A man was found dead in Braintree on Saturday morning but police are no longer treating the death as suspicious.

St Mary's Church, Halesworth.

A ‘fighting fund’ to help a north Suffolk town council to cover increased services amid district council cuts has been found through the raising of its precept.

Ricky Adams, who has gone missing from Mildenhall

Police say they are concerned for the welfare of a 22-year-old man who has gone missing from Mildenhall.

Chris Porter of Colchester United has a shot at goal during the Sky Bet League 1 Essex Derby match between Southend United and Colchester United at Roots Hall, Southend
Picture by Richard Blaxall/Focus Images Ltd +44 7853 364624
06/02/2016

A Southend supporter is reported to have assaulted a number of Colchester fans at the Essex Derby game at Roots Hall on Saturday.

Most read

Fred Olsen Travel Sale

cover

Click here to view
the Fred Olsen
Travel Sale

View

Most commented

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Topic pages

Streetlife

Great British Life

Great British Life
MyDate24 MyPhotos24