Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 9°C

min temp: 5°C

ESTD 1874 Search

Ipswich/Hadleigh: Heating engineer’s faulty service caused fatal poisoning of Annette Coe, 72, jury told

08:56 18 June 2014

Annette Coe who died of carbon monoxide poisoning

Annette Coe who died of carbon monoxide poisoning

A Suffolk heating engineer’s negligent failure to properly service the boiler of a 72-year-old customer was the cause of her death from carbon monoxide poisoning, a court has heard.

shares

Annette Coe, mother of William Coe who runs Coes stores in Suffolk and Essex, was found collapsed at her Ipswich home in December 2012.

Peter Sykes, 68, a self-employed servicing engineer from Castle Road, Hadleigh, appeared before Norwich Crown Court yesterday charged with her manslaughter.

He also faces three counts of health and safety failings involving Mrs Coe’s boiler and those of customers in Raydon and Woodbridge.

Sykes, who denies all the charges, had serviced Mrs Coe’s oil heating system for about 40 years.

He carried out the last service at her St Edmunds Road property on October 19, 2012 – just 47 days before she was found collapsed and unconscious by her son.

William Carter, prosecuting, told the court that Sykes’ failure to clean the flue of Mrs Coe’s oil-fired heater caused a blockage, which resulted in “poisonous gas circulating around her home at fatal levels”.

“The defendant’s failure was grossly negligent to the extent, the crown alleges, that his actions amount to the criminal offence of manslaughter,” he said.

The court heard that two of Mrs Coe’s daughters, Sarah Licence and Bridget Coe, had raised the alarm on the evening of December 5.

They became concerned after their mother, who lived alone, failed to answer the phone.

Alerted by Bridget, William Coe arrived at the property at around
11pm.

He noticed the atmosphere in the kitchen seemed “hazy” and
entered to find his mother lying unconscious on the floor, the court was told.

She was taken to hospital, where doctors described the level of carbon monoxide as “extremely high” and said nothing could be done. She died on December 6.

Investigations carried out the following day revealed the flue was “completely blocked” with almost 11kg of debris.

Mr Carter, reporting the inspectors’ conclusions, said the defendant’s service had fallen “far short of the expected standards of competency”.

Inspections of other boilers serviced by Sykes also revealed shortcomings, leading to two further health and safety charges.

Mr Carter said an oil boiler
belonging to Melvyn Smith in Raydon was “declared immediately unsafe”.

And a Mexico gas boiler, which Sykes had been servicing for Mary Blyton at her bungalow in Woodbridge for the past 15 years, was classified as “not simply unsafe, but as immediately dangerous”.

Sykes, who is not on the gas safe register “should not have had anything to with the gas boiler at all”, the court heard.

During police interview after Mrs Coe’s death, Sykes was said to have claimed he carried out a proper service and cleaned the flue.

The trial continues.

shares
Fire crews rescue the man in Rumburgh - photo Jane Davis

A driver is lucky to have escaped after his car careered off the road and into a pond in Rumburgh, say eyewitnesses.

There are around 17 miles of tailbacks on the northbound A12 this evening.

Nowton Park daffodils. Pictured is George Cole.

March winds and April showers should give a very traditional flavour to the weather over the next few days as youngsters across Suffolk start their Easter school holidays.

The Charlatans' frontman Tim Burgess is looking forward to returning to V Festival this year

The Charlatans are among the latest names added to this year’s V Festival.

Staff at Sainsbury's on Woodbridge Road Andrew Rodger (left) and Martin Palman with youngsters at Noah's Ark Pre-School taking part in a fundraising 'bunny bounce' to raise money for a better outdoor play area and staff Sam Chambers (front L to R) Sophie Woodward and Sue Woolard.

Dozens of toddlers have helped an Ipswich pre-school raise funds to improve its outdoor play area – by taking part in a ‘Bunny Bounce’ challenge.

Hollesley.

Opposition has been voiced over proposals to use part of the grounds of a residential home for nine properties, including much-needed affordable housing.

The design of the proposed new clifftop shelter at Felixstowe - a replacement for an earlier modernistic design labelled as a monstrosity by some councillors.

Proposals for a new clifftop shelter labelled by a community leader as a “monstrosity” have been ditched in favour of a more traditional design.

Enthusiasts at Bawdsey Transmitter Block at Bawdsey Manor to mark the 80th anniversary of the Daventry Experiment which proved radar was possible. A £1.4m lottery bid has been lodged to preserve the old radar station.

Enthusiasts have submitted an application to the Heritage Lottery Fund for grant aid towards a £1.4million project to preserve one of Britain’s most precious pieces of war-time history and turn it into a major attraction.

Wayne Bayliss, 34, from Bury St Edmunds, is wanted for recall to prison

The public have been warned not to approach a 34-year-old man wanted for breaching the conditions of his release from prison on licence.

Police are appealing for help tracing a man after five bottles of spirits were stolen from a Morrisons store in Chelmsford

Police are appealing for help tracing a man they want to speak to in connection with the theft of alcohol from an Essex supermarket.

Most read

Most commented

Topic pages