Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 10°C

min temp: 3°C

ESTD 1874 Search

Ipswich/Hadleigh: Heating engineer sentenced to community service following a string of health and safety offences

19:35 28 July 2014

Annette Coe

Annette Coe

A Suffolk heating engineer who was found guilty of a string of health and safety offences following an investigation into the death of an Ipswich woman was yesterday sentenced to 300 hours’ community service.

shares

At an earlier trial, Peter Sykes, of Castle Road in Hadleigh, had been cleared of manslaughter by gross negligence but was found guilty of five health and safety failings relating to work he carried out for Annette Coe and other customers.

Mrs Coe, 72, the mother of William Coe who runs Coes stores in Suffolk and Essex, was found collapsed at her home in St Edmunds Road on December 5, 2012. She died in hospital the following day.

The court heard that an investigation found Sykes, 68, had failed to service and repair the heating system at Mrs Coe’s home, which resulted in poisonous carbon monoxide building up in her home.

Following the sentencing at Norwich Crown Court yesterday, tributes were paid to Mrs Coe by her family, who described her as an “amazing lady”.

A family statement read: “The last 18 months have been very difficult and we are now glad this hurdle has been cleared and we can move forward.

“Our mother was an amazing lady. We all miss her terribly but we can at least now try to put the tragic events of her death behind us so we can focus on the future and share all the great memories of our wonderful mum/grandma.”

Speaking after the sentencing, Detective Inspector Trevor Prior of Suffolk police said: “We conducted a meticulous investigation with the Health and Safety Executive following the tragic death of Mrs Coe.

“This established that her death was due to deadly carbon monoxide, which was allowed to build up in her home as a direct result of Sykes’ failure to maintain her heating system.

“This case sends a clear message that the police can and will work closely and effectively with other agencies to bring offenders to justice.”

HSE Principal Inspector Vicky Fletcher added: “Working on gas appliances is difficult, specialised and potentially very dangerous. It is therefore vital that only registered gas engineers, who are trained and competent, work on gas appliances and fittings.

“HSE will not hesitate to prosecute those who break the law in this way.”

Paul Rose from the Oil Firing Technical Association (OFTEC) said: “Had this installation been properly maintained, the sad death of Mrs Coe could have been avoided.”

Russell Kramer, chief executive of Gas Safe Register, also called on all customers to check their engineer’s ID card and that they are qualified.

shares

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other East Anglian Daily Times visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by East Anglian Daily Times staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique East Anglian Daily Times account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Volunteers carry the body of a victim on a stretcher, recovered from the debris of a building that collapsed (AP Photo/ Niranjan Shrestha)

The father of a Boxford woman travelling in Nepal managed to contact her this morning, following the 7.8 magnitude earthquake in the Kathmandu valley.

Ipswich Crown Court.

A man who was banned from keeping dogs for 15 years after footage showed him punching and slapping his two Labradors has had the disqualification reduced from 15 years to 10.

Angel Hall, missing 14-year-old girl from Leiston

Missing since Saturday at 10.30am, police are hoping to trace Angel Hall who was last seen at Saxmundham train station.

Lowestoft Town centre.

A fire broke out on the ground a semi-detached house on Victoria Road this morning.

Shawn Leek setting out on the first of seven marathons. Today he hopes to complete the challenge

Thousands of runners this morning lined up for the start of the 35th annual London Marathon, each with their own personal goal.

Fans at the Ipswich Town v Nottingham Forest game.

The atmosphere at Portman Road was electric yesterday as fans packed the terraces to see the play-off bound Blues in action against Nottingham Forest.

Bury Fire Station.

Firefighters from the Bury station were called to the fire at The Vinefields after neighbours reported a strong burning smell.

The Mid and West Suffolk Show at Stonham Barns, Stonham Aspal.

Featuring the trademark bird of prey displays, stunt shows, classic cars and Suffolk punches, this year’s Mid and West Suffolk Show is drawing crowds from across the county.

Greeniversity is starting a new knitting class, the Sudbury branch is one of only a handful across the country of the Greeniverity teaching people green skills. Left to right, Laura Laurence and Joanne Main.

Young people are keen to learn skills that were popular during the ‘make-do-and-mend’ era following the Second World War, a new survey has revealed.

'Apart from Newsnight and Question Time, I dont watch telly very much. Im too fidgety for that. Im always in that back room there, at my little desk, with all my books. I certainly dont watch Top Gear, Im afraid!' says Andrew Hammond

Look. Ignore the obvious similarities to brother Richard Hammond, put down that selfie-stick, and focus on the books.

Most read

Most commented

Topic pages