Sunny

Sunny

max temp: 27°C

min temp: 16°C

ESTD 1874 Search

Ipswich: Is Suffolk strangler Steve Wright set for new appeal bid over his murder conviction?

17:47 03 December 2012

Steve Wright has reportedly launched a fresh bid for freedom

Steve Wright has reportedly launched a fresh bid for freedom

Archant

SUFFOLK serial killer Steve Wright is reported to be on the verge of launching a fresh bid for freedom.

shares

Wright, 54, was jailed for life after being found guilty of murdering five prostitutes in the Ipswich area in late 2006.

The bodies of Gemma Adams, Tania Nicol, Anneli Alderton, Paula Clennell and Annette Nicholls were found over a 10-day period.

His brother David, 53 - who regularly visits Wright at Long Lartin Prison in Worcestershire - reportedly told a national newspaper his sibling was lining up a third bid to overturn his conviction.

But Wright’s father Conrad said he didn’t want the saga to be brought up again.

He said yesterday: “I have never heard a thing from Steve. He has never come to me to say he is innocent. But if he was innocent, he would have told me.

“I went to Belmarsh after Steve had been charged and he refused to see me. If he was innocent, he would have seen me.

“If he is guilty, he has to take his punishment.

“I don’t want this being dragged up again. It upsets me and it’s upsetting for all those people in Ipswich affected by what happened. They are upsetting a hell of a lot of people.”

Wright’s first appeal against his conviction was rejected in July 2008.

His second, in February 2009, was thrown out by the Court of Appeal, who ruled his trial was fair and his conviction safe.

Wright had argued his trial should not have been held in Ipswich and that his defence team did not properly challenge forensic evidence.

Related articles

shares

0 comments

The incident happened on the A12

A lane on the A12 at the Foxhall roundabout near Martlesham was blocked following a three-vehicle crash.

Bolts of lightning during the storms above Ipswich in the early hours of Saturday, pictured by Tina Boniface

Fierce lightning storms swept over Suffolk and Essex last night.

John McGuire

A 25-year-old man who went missing from a mental health unit in Colchester has been found safe and well.

A broken down train has blocked the Marks Tey to Sudbury route

A broken down train has forced services between Sudbury and Marks Tey to be suspended – with delays expected for the rest of the day.

Mounted police officers patrol on the beach of  Sousse, Tunisia. Inset image of Stuart Cullen.

The body of Suffolk man Stuart Cullen, one of 38 people killed in the Tunisian terror attack, is being returned to Britain today.

National Lottery winners pictured helping out on a build at Black Notley Community Association in Braintree, Essex. Pictured are the team working hard in the sunshine to complete the job.

Lottery winners with a combined worth of £25million mucked in to help create a holiday haven in Black Notley.

Suffolk county councillor Lisa Chambers

More than 90% of parents in Suffolk have had their first-choice places accepted for their children starting school this September, it has been revealed.

Actor, Dudley Sutton, who plays William Makepeace in Emmerdale and was Tinker in Lovejoy, will be exhibiting his art work at the Aldeburgh Beach Lookout.

Perhaps best known for his long and distinguished acting career, Dudley Sutton harbours myriad other talents – some of which are displayed on the coast today.

The police helicopter was deployed to help the search.

Concern is growing for a man who is missing from the Cambian Fairview Hospital in Colchester.

There has been 64 serious motorcycle crashes in Essex

A major campaign is being launched to educate motorcyclists as the number of serious crashes involving riders on Essex roads continues to rise.

Most read

Most commented

Topic pages