Sunny

Sunny

max temp: 23°C

min temp: 17°C

ESTD 1874 Search

The pigs have arrived. See the latest

Pigs Gone Wild

news here.

Ipswich/London: Memorial service to mark 25th anniversary of Marchioness disaster which claimed the life of Christopher Garnham, 31

12:45 04 August 2014

Christopher Garnham, of Ipswich

Christopher Garnham, of Ipswich

Those bereaved by the Marchioness riverboat tragedy will attend a memorial service later this month to mark the 25th anniversary of the River Thames disaster which claimed 51 lives, including that of an Ipswich man.

Plaque for the 51 victims of the Marchioness disaster. Photo credit: John Stillwell/PA WirePlaque for the 51 victims of the Marchioness disaster. Photo credit: John Stillwell/PA Wire

On August 20 1989 – a hot late-summer evening – the pleasure boat Marchioness, packed with partygoers, collided with the dredger Bowbelle and sank in the Thames in central London.

The names of the dead, including Ipswich man Christopher Garnham, will be read out at the service on Wednesday August 20.

Mr Garnham, 31, was an award-winning photographer and artist.

Other victims included Francesca Dallaglio, 19, the sister of former England rugby captain Lawrence Dallaglio, and merchant banker Antonio de Vasconcellos, whose 26th birthday was being celebrated aboard the Marchioness.

The wrecked hull of the Marchioness lying partially submerged in shallow water on the north band of the river Thames. Photo credit: Tony Harris/PA WireThe wrecked hull of the Marchioness lying partially submerged in shallow water on the north band of the river Thames. Photo credit: Tony Harris/PA Wire

The service will be conducted by Southwark Cathedral Dean the Very Rev Andrew Nunn and later two launches will be provided to allow families to drop flowers at the spot on the river where the accident happened.

Those attending the service will include some who have campaigned, through the Marchioness Action Group, for Thames safety improvements following the tragedy.

These same bereaved families had to endure a 10-year wait for the announcement of a public inquiry into the disaster following an earlier 1991 report from the Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB).

That first report said the failure of both vessels to mount a proper look-out was the immediate cause of the tragedy.

This was the same conclusion reached by Lord Justice Clarke when his 2001 report was published after the public inquiry, announced in 1999, was finally held.

While the MAIB report said that there were marine regulation faults going back 25 years, the Clarke report said it was “a catastrophe that should never have happened”.

In the years between the two inquiries the families had had to absorb the news that the Bowbelle captain, Douglas Henderson, had been formally acquitted after juries at two separate trials failed to reach verdicts on a charge of his failing to keep a proper look-out.

The families also had to come to terms with the decision by Westminster Coroner Dr Paul Knapman to cut off the hands of more than 20 of the Marchioness victims for identification purposes – an action criticised in the Clarke report.

The Clarke report was also critical of Captain Henderson, who had drank six pints of lager in the afternoon before the tragedy. There was also criticism of the owners of both vessels.

An inquest jury into the disaster returned a verdict of “unlawful killing”. In July 1996 the Crown Prosecution Service said there was insufficient evidence to justify any further criminal proceedings.

After the Clarke report River Thames rules were tightened, including – in 2002 – the introduction of the first lifeboat services on the Thames.

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other East Anglian Daily Times visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by East Anglian Daily Times staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique East Anglian Daily Times account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Suffolk Police PCSOs (stock picture)

Two new PCSOs will be patrolling the streets of Bury St Edmunds from next January in a new step for local policing.

The scene as emergency services mounted a rescue at Sea Palling. Photo: Contributed.

A man in his 50s has died and another in his 20s was resuscitated after they got into difficulty in the water at Sea Palling.

Eastbound A14 traffic near the Copdock junction. Image: Keith Mindham

Drivers are currently experiencing long delays after a car crashed into the central reservation on the A14 eastbound at Nacton this evening.

Andy Beckwith

A former Essex man who went missing in Gibraltar has been found “in good health”, police have said.

A motorist involved in a crash on the A14 in which a teenager died will live with the “huge remorse” for the rest of his life, a court has heard.

Brendan Wright. Pic: Essex Police.

A Colchester man has been reported missing to police.

The Essex and Herts Air Ambulance

A five-year-old boy has been airlifted to hospital with serious head injuries after a crash in north-east Essex.

Most read

Great Days Out

cover

Click here to view
the Great Days Out
supplement

View

Most commented

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Streetlife

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Great British Life

Great British Life
MyDate24 MyPhotos24