Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 4°C

min temp: 2°C

ESTD 1874 Search

Ipswich: ‘Out of control’ convicted paedophile handed four-year jail sentence

14:28 13 January 2014

Rhys Goodwin, pictured, who was described as being obsessed with child pornography, was found to have downloaded more than 4,000 vile images and movies of children on mobile phones, Ipswich Crown Court heard.

Rhys Goodwin, pictured, who was described as being obsessed with child pornography, was found to have downloaded more than 4,000 vile images and movies of children on mobile phones, Ipswich Crown Court heard.

A convicted paedophile who has admitted his ultimate sexual fantasy would be the rape and murder of a child has been locked up for four years.

Rhys Goodwin, who was described as being obsessed with child pornography, was found to have downloaded more than 4,000 vile images and movies of children on mobile phones, Ipswich Crown Court heard.

Jailing 32-year-old Goodwin for four years and imposing an extended licence period of three years after his release from prison, Judge David Goodin said he posed a “high risk” of committing further sexual offences in the future, including contact offences with children.

He said Goodwin’s offending in relation to downloading child porn was “out of control” and said he had admitted his ultimate sexual fantasy would be the rape and murder of a child.

Goodwin, formerly of Ipswich, admitted three offences of breaching a sexual offences prevention order, possessing indecent images of children, distributing indecent images of children and two offences of making indecent images of children.

Robert Sadd, prosecuting, said Goodwin was made the subject of a sexual offences prevention order by a judge at Norwich Crown Court in 2008 after he was jailed for sexually assaulting a young boy .

Mr Sadd said Goodwin had breached the order by downloading child porn on mobile phones which he had bought from shops, including one in Ipswich, and returned within 48 hours to obtain a refund.

“It was an effective way of swapping phones quickly,” he said.

The offences came to light in September 2012 after indecent images of children were found on a phone previously owned and returned to one such shop by Goodwin and on another phone used by him.

Mr Sadd said that of the 4,552 indecent images and movies found on the phones nearly 1,000 were at the two most serious levels used to grade child pornography.

He said there was evidence that Goodwin had shared some of the images on the phones with people with the same interest.

The court heard that as well as appearing before Norwich Crown Court in 2008 Goodwin had also appeared in court for making and possessing indecent images of children in 2005 and for making indecent images of children and breaching the sexual offences prevention order in 2011.

Imran Mahmood for Goodwin said his client had been sexually abused when he was younger and had suffered from depression and low self-esteem.

He said his client had developed an obsession with child pornography and although he had confessed to fantasizing about the rape and murder of a child there wasn’t a real risk of this happening.

3 comments

  • Erm, so if he poses a 'high risk' of committing further offenses in the future surely he should be locked up indefinitely? Let's hope his somewhat deluded sounding defence is correct with the last part of the final sentence.

    Report this comment

    alittlebitwoolly

    Monday, January 13, 2014

  • Erm a history of loving kiddy porn admits he would like to rape and murder a child, four years!!

    Report this comment

    Lee Davies

    Monday, January 13, 2014

  • " Out of control" in my book, for the protection of our young, warrants a far longer sentence than just four years. This man needs to be out of the public arena indefinitely. American style sentences and prisons, look increasingly attractive when confronted with this type of offender. As does the three strikes penalty, our softly, softly approach, of out in half the time clearly doesn't work. I also feel that criminals who are imprisoned forfeit their '' human rights''. They are not being held in the '' hell holes '' we see depicted on tv in some countries, they are fed, watered and often educated at public expense, so hardly deprivedof basic human rights anyway. Our children deserve the safest possible society we can provide for them.

    Report this comment

    SUSIEPIES

    Monday, January 13, 2014

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

Police have sealed off Stone Street in Crowfield after concerns for the welfare of a man at a property in the village.

A stand-off with a man believed to be armed in Crowfield which has been ongoing since 11.15pm on Monday has been resolved peacefully, police have said.

Ex Royal Air Force Serviceman Richard Philpotts, of Stowmarket, Suffolk was sentenced on 16 January 2017 to three years’ imprisonment following conviction in relation to a single victim of one offence of indecent assault on a child below the age of 14, committed between 1986 and 1987.

A former RAF corporal and scout master has been jailed at a court martial for three years for the sexual abuse of a boy scout more than 30 years ago in Germany.

Prime Minister Theresa May speaks during Prime Minister's Questions in the House of Commons, London. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Picture date: Wednesday January 18, 2017. See PA story POLITICS PMQs May. Photo credit should read: PA Wire

People must take flood warnings seriously, the Prime Minister has said after the region was put on high alert over a tidal surge last week.

A120 at Marks Tey

A potential new dualled A120 route between Braintree and Marks Tey will cost between £475million and £825m, it was announced yesterday.

Campaigner Jill Reece on the barrow crossing at Halesworth Station.

Work will be carried out next week to install gates at a station crossing on the east Suffolk rail line after campaigners fought off moves to close it.

The launch of the trial at Sudbury fire station

Lives have been saved as a result of a pilot scheme which has seen cardiac arrest emergencies in parts of the county dealt with by firefighters.

Before and after shots of the Balkerne Bridge in Colchester

An iconic bridge in Colchester has been removed temporarily while Essex County Council work to widen it.

Most read

Great Days Out

cover

Click here to view
the Great Days Out
supplement

View

Most commented

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Streetlife

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

MyDate24 MyPhotos24