Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 11°C

min temp: 8°C

ESTD 1874 Search

Ipswich: Owner of Chinese takeaway denies losing her temper with worker who allegedly attacked her

06:00 26 March 2014

Garrick Way after the alleged attack

Garrick Way after the alleged attack


The owner of a Chinese takeaway restaurant in Ipswich has denied losing her temper with a kitchen worker shortly before he attacked her with a cleaver.

Giving evidence at Ipswich Crown Court Linda Tian, who owned the New China restaurant in Garrick Way, denied kicking things round the kitchen and grabbing Lianjun Sun’s jumper and hair because she was angry at the way he was cutting up vegetables.

Cross-examined by defence counsel Martyn Levett, Ms Tian said she wouldn’t have done that as she was scared of Sun following an incident a year earlier when she claimed he had grabbed her throat and pinned her down on the ground.

“You were cursing him, nagging him and telling him he was useless and calling him a senseless fool,” said Mr Levett.

Miss Tian accepted that she had criticised Sun for the way he was cutting up vegetables into different size pieces instead of making them all the same size but denied losing her temper with him.

She claimed that Sun told her he was going to kill her before attacking her with a cleaver.

She denied a suggestion by Mr Levett that she was a “perfectionist with exacting standards that were too high to attain” and that she would shout at her employees.

Miss Tian said that as the owner of the restaurant she had high expectations of her staff but denied that in the past she had thrown boiling water and flicked oil at Sun.

Sun, 51, of Cromer Road, Ipswich has denied attempting to murder Miss Tian on November 1 last year but has admitted a less serious charge of wounding her with intent to cause her grievous bodily harm.

It has been alleged that Sun delivered two “massive” blows to 50-year-old Miss Tian’s neck.

One of the blows caused an injury measuring 12cm from the midline of her throat to her left ear and the other blow to the back of the neck fractured the top of her spine.

The court heard that the second blow missed fully severing her spinal column by 1mm and that “severe” force would have been required to inflict the two injuries.

Two off-duty members of staff in an adjacent flat were alerted by Ms Tian’s screams and carried her from the restaurant kitchen to near their front door where she was assisted by passers by and paramedics before being taken to hospital.

She subsequently underwent two operations and remained in the critical care unit for some time.

The trial continues today (Wed).

Related articles


Corrie CCTV Screen

An abandoned van has been seized by police searching for missing RAF Honington serviceman Corrie McKeague, aged 23.

Suffolk Lowland Search and Rescue team search for Corrie McKeague just outside Troston Slades Covert. Photo Mark Westley

Suffolk police officers are attempting to trace a group seen talking to Corrie McKeague at a pizza takeaway on the night of his disappearance.

Archie Joe Darby and Daniel-Jay Darby. Archie, four months, was killed and Daniel-Jay was seriously injured after being bitten by a dog at their Colchester home.

A four-month-old baby was snatched from his mother’s arms by the family dog and mauled to death, an inquest has heard.

Police were called to the crash

A man in his 30s is in hospital with serious injuries after a crash Stowmarket last night.

Ron Harris outside the first home he shared with his wife, Nina, at Shingle Street before the Second World War. Photo supplied for Life on the Edge by the Harris family.

It’s a place with tragedy and mystery in its past – but as many stories of resilient determination to build a community amid its wild and isolated environment.

Corrie McKeague's last ever sighting at 3.24am September 24 2016. CCTV still from Brentgovel Street, Bury St Edmunds. The building in the background is the edge of Cornhill Walk Shopping Centre

A video of the last ever sighting of Corrie McKeague has been released, as four weeks pass with no new leads.

Stock image of the A14 near Kentford.

Two speeding motorists who admitted driving at 130mph in Suffolk have been disqualified from driving.

Most read

Great Days Out


Click here to view
the Great Days Out


Most commented


Show Job Lists

Don't miss


Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

MyDate24 MyPhotos24