Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 11°C

min temp: 5°C

ESTD 1874 Search

Ipswich: Owner of The Townhouse Restaurant damaged in blaze reveals heartbreak - but insists ‘We will come back’

12:36 09 January 2014

Dramatic pictures of fire at popular Ipswich Restaurant. The Town House.

Dramatic pictures of fire at popular Ipswich Restaurant. The Town House.

An Ipswich restaurant owner has spoken of his heartbreak after a blaze ripped through his popular town centre venue – but he vowed to bounce back.


Eight fire engines were called to The Townhouse Restaurant in Orwell Place following reports of a major kitchen blaze yesterday morning.

See the gallery here.

Around 20 firefighters battled the inferno which caused a “considerable amount of damage” to the restaurant. No injuries were reported.

Morgan Decker, owner of the restaurant, said two chefs raised the alarm when the kitchen filled with smoke minutes after the pair had “started work as normal”.

The 36-year-old opened the restaurant – his first business venture – in October 2010 after a career spent working in catering.

He said news of the fire “shocked” him and was a “real blow” after battling through the recession and proving a hit with customers.

“I’ve put everything into the restaurant,” Mr Decker said. “There was a lot of hard work and patience with family and friends.

“I’ve worked in catering my whole life across Suffolk and this was my first business of my own. We opened in the middle of the recession and have battled through to get here.

“Things were going well so this is a real blow. I would like to apologise to everyone who had made reservations.”

He said he expects the restaurant to be closed for a “minimum of two weeks”.

An investigation has been launched to establish the cause of the fire. It is believed to have erupted in the kitchen’s extractor fan at around 9.45am.

Group Commander Dave Pedersen, of the Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service, said the venue had suffered “substantial damage”.

He said there are no suspicious circumstances surrounding the incident.

The back of the building was reportedly severely damaged while aerial pictures revealed a large hole had been torn through the roof.

Fire crews managed to stop the flames from spreading to nearby buildings. It was brought under control by 11.10am.

Mr Decker, of Ipswich, praised the “brilliant work” of the firefighters before pledging to remain upbeat and rebuild his restaurant back to its former glory.

“We will come back from this,” the former Kesgrave High School pupil said.

“I would like to praise the chefs, who did everything correctly, and the firefighters for their brilliant work.

“I was in a meeting off-site when the chefs called me. It was a little bit shocking to say the least.

“We don’t know what precisely caused the fire. It seems like a random accident but it might have started in the fan extractor.”

Mr Pedersen said the fire took hold within the kitchen before spreading through the rest of the building.

“The fire caused a considerable amount of damage but we will carry out a full investigation,” he said.

Eye-witness Glenn Makin, 32, said firefighters “acted quickly” to douse the fire.

“They deserve some praise,” he said. “Let’s hope the restaurant gets back up and running as soon as possible.”

Another witness, who did not wished to be named, said: “It’s such a shame. It is a great restaurant. Good luck to them to get it back open as soon as possible.”



  • Morgan Decker is 36 says this article, so what relevance of what high school he used to go to over 20 years ago?

    Report this comment

    Ipswich Entrepreneur

    Thursday, January 9, 2014

  • After being damaged in the blaze, I'm sure the owner would be a little peeved - or is there a comma missing from the headline?

    Report this comment

    Mister Cynical

    Thursday, January 9, 2014

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

Concerns for police staff over jobs

Hundreds of Suffolk Constabulary civilian staff face an anxious wait this week to discover the impact of a multi-million pound cost-cutting programme.

Tim Holder, director of the Suffolk Community Foundation, with Surviving Winter supporter, former journalist and TV presenter Christine Webber

A campaign to combat fuel poverty in Suffolk has helped more than 100 people to stay warm this winter in the first three weeks since its launch.

Braintree woman Josie Lucas, who has flown to Mexico to find missing boyfriend Dean Lucas

An Essex woman has flown out to Mexico amid growing concerns for her partner who went missing on a trip in Mexico last week.

Drink-driver in court

A company director has lost his licence after admitting drink-driving while travelling at 94mph on the A14.

Ipswich Crown Court.

A 21-year-old Ipswich man who attacked two guests at a party with a machete has been jailed for nine years.

Rail passengers are facing a day of disruption due to overrunning engineering work in Cambridgeshire.

South East Suffolk Magistrates' Court

A 20-year-old woman was given a six week prison sentence suspended for 12 months for stealing £10 from a resident of a care home where she worked.

Most read

Most commented

Topic pages

Local business directory

Our trusted business finder

Property search

e.g. Oxford or NW3
Powered by Zoopla

Digital Edition

Read the East Anglian Daily Times e-edition today E-edition

Great British Life

Great British Life
MyDate24 MyPhotos24