Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 6°C

min temp: 2°C

ESTD 1874 Search

Ipswich: Rape accused had previous sex assault prosecution and admits lying to police, court told

12:14 07 August 2014

Police guard the scene of the alleged rape in Cromer Road, Ipswich.

Police guard the scene of the alleged rape in Cromer Road, Ipswich.

Archant

A man accused of an alleyway rape has admitted lying to police and being prosecuted for a previous sex assault.

During cross-examination by prosecutor Emma Nash at his Ipswich Crown Court trial it was suggested Mohammed Sabir had even given police the impression he was a virgin at the time of the alleged rape.

Sabir, of Westholme Road, Ipswich, denies dragging a 27-year-old woman into an alleyway next to his father’s Cromer Road home and raping her.

Miss Nash also suggested to the 21-year-old that he had only admitted having consensual sex with the woman when he was confronted by overwhelming DNA evidence before the start of his third police interview.

During the previous two interviews lasting a total of 86 minutes he had denied being in the alleyway or having sex with the women.

Sabir claimed he had already decided to tell the truth during his third interview with officers and retract his previous assertion that he had been in his father’s house watching television.

Miss Nash asked Sabir: “Are you saying if the officers had not told you about the DNA evidence before the third interview you would have admitted lying and having sex with her.”

“Yes”, he replied through a Kurdish Sorani interpreter.

When asked why he would have changed his mind Sabir said because he had not forced the woman to have intercourse.

Sabir said: “I was scared and later on I said I didn’t force myself (on her). I wouldn’t do such a thing near my house. In our culture it’s not acceptable to do things near your own house.”

Miss Nash suggested to Sabir the real reason he changed his story was that he was confronted with the DNA evidence.

He replied: “I told the truth because nothing else was going through my mind, just the fact that I did not force myself (on her).

The court heard Miss Nash say Sabir had continued to lie during his third interview.

He told officers he had never been in a similar situation.

Speaking to Sabir she said: “It was a lie that you have never been in such a situation before because you had been arrested and prosecuted for a sexual assault four years before.”

Sabir replied “Yes.”

Sabir had claimed he felt pressured into having sex with the woman after she asked for three or four pounds to have intercourse.

The jury heard he told officers it was the first time he had been approached like that in the street.

Miss Nash said it was the prosecution case that he lied when he answered their next question by suggesting it was the first time he had had sex. Sabir had told them he had never encountered a woman before.

The alleged rape is said to have taken place at around 8.30pm on March 3.

The trial continues.

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other East Anglian Daily Times visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by East Anglian Daily Times staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique East Anglian Daily Times account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Scene of house fire in Lupin Way, Clacton-on-Sea. Picture by: Essex County Fire & Rescue Service.

A family have been left homeless after a fire “completely destroyed” their house in the early hours of this morning.

017 NB Jaywick residence at the Evacation Centre on Friday.

People’s community spirit has been praised by council chiefs after Tendring residents helped those affected by the severe flood warnings in Mistley and Jaywick last week.

Elbow at Latitude. Jen O'Neill favourite pictures of the year

Top alternative rock band Elbow are the latest addition to the Thetford Forest summer concert line-up this year.

There are fears the service could close

The future of a day care centre used by vulnerable older people hangs in the balance as a consultation into Age UK Suffolk services continues.

Where will the Northern Bypass go?

Today the potential routes for the northern bypass - taking traffic away from Ipswich town centre - have been revealed but it could take at least 15 years for any work on a new road to start.

Detectives look at the body of Bernard Oliver, whose body was found in a field at Tattingstone

A Suffolk man is convinced he had a chilling encounter with the Tattingstone suitcase murderer just two days before Bernard Oliver’s dismembered body was found 50 years ago today.

The rising tide at Southwold, Taken around 8pm Friday night as the storm surge hit. Picture: Jim Ellis

Every weekend our iwitness community is snapping brilliant pictures of Suffolk and we have picked out just a couple that stood out from your weekend.

Most read

Great Days Out

cover

Click here to view
the Great Days Out
supplement

View

Most commented

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Streetlife

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

MyDate24 MyPhotos24