Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 22°C

min temp: 13°C

ESTD 1874 Search

Ipswich: Strictly Come Dancing star Robin Windsor praises ‘inspirational’ Sir Bruce Forsyth after presenter leaves BBC1 show

19:19 04 April 2014

Sir Bruce Forsyth said it was the right time to step down from the rigours of hosting Strictly Come Dancing. Photo: Yui Mok/PA Wire.

Sir Bruce Forsyth said it was the right time to step down from the rigours of hosting Strictly Come Dancing. Photo: Yui Mok/PA Wire.

Archant

Ipswich and Strictly Come Dancing star Robin Windsor has said Sir Bruce Forsyth will be “immensely missed” after the showbusiness veteran announced he was stepping down as presenter of the hit BBC1 series.

shares
Ipswich and Strictly Come Dancing star Robin Windsor and dance partner Deborah Meaden. Photo: PAIpswich and Strictly Come Dancing star Robin Windsor and dance partner Deborah Meaden. Photo: PA

The 86-year-old said today it was the “right time to step down from the rigours” of hosting the live shows which have become Saturday night ratings winners.

The future of Sir Bruce, 86, on the show had been a cause of speculation for some months. He had already scaled back some of his commitments, stepping down from the weekly results show and writing occasional rest weeks into his deal with show bosses.

And Robin, a former Clifford Road Primary and Copleston High school pupil and one of Strictly’s leading professional dancers, said Sir Bruce will “always remain part of the show’s furniture”.

“He is a national institution,” said Robin, who claimed Sir Bruce has played a key role in the success of the ballroom show which has defeated ITV rival X Factor in the Saturday night ratings war in recent years.

“I’m not really that surprised that Sir Bruce has stepped down because he has slowly been leaving the show, like not doing some results shows, but he will be immensely missed. Strictly is where he belongs.”

He described working with Sir Bruce as “amazing”, praising the entertainer for continuing to show the same enthusiastic commitment which has shaped a career stretching back to the 1950s.

“To have hosted the biggest show on TV at the age of 86 is quite remarkable,” he said.

“For someone to still be as determined to succeed after 70-odd years in the industry is an inspiration to everybody.

“He is absolutely incredible behind the scenes on a Saturday before we go live. He is singing and dancing and engaging with the audience. Every week he brings something new out to make the show what it is. The show would not have been what it is today without him. He has helped make Strictly what it is.”

He added: “I couldn’t wait to work with him and have learnt a lot. He has absolutely matched my expectations. When he walks in to a room he does not have to say a word – that is (the influence) he has. He is someone everyone looks up to.”

Sir Bruce is expected to continue to work on pre-recorded Strictly shows for Christmas and Children In Need as well as one-off BBC specials, and said he will also be performing in theatres.

Sir Bruce said today: “After 10 wonderful years and 11 series, I believe it is now the right time to step down from the rigours of presenting the Strictly live shows.

“I am very proud of what the show has achieved and confident it will entertain the nation for many years to come. I am also delighted that by presenting the Christmas and Children In Need shows I will continue to have a strong association with Strictly.

“In addition, I am looking forward to the specials planned with the BBC as well as some live theatre shows, so before anyone asks, I am not retiring quite yet.”

shares

1 comment

  • 86 years old me thinks that Brucie's best days are well in the past. Only the BBC thought differently fella put ya feet up and let that young wife of yours spend your millions..Geriatric are us.

    Report this comment

    soulboy

    Friday, April 4, 2014

Detectives investigating a burglary at a home in Colchester have issued an efit of a man they would like to identify in connection with the incident.

Age UK is looking for volunteers to take part in a video

Bosses at Age UK Suffolk are looking for 10 older people to take part in a new promotional video that is being made to show off the work of the charity.

An Abellio Greater Anglia train at Colchester

Rail delays at Colchester have been caused by a broken down train.

Rendlesham Care Centre rated ‘good’ by CQC (L-R) Danielle Brown, Administrator; Liz Slight, Home Manager; Maxine Crisp, Carer; Fabian Lossa, Carer; Rachael Last, Receptionist

Rendlesham Care Centre was found to provide a safe, effective, caring, responsive and well-led service according to the CQC report.

A diversion has been put in place

Severe traffic delays in Chelmsford have been caused by a traffic collision.

Woodbridge Carnival fireworks 2015.

People in an east Suffolk town are being asked to vote with their cash if they want a fireworks display next year.

Station Hill in Bury St Edmunds, which is being redeveloped.

Plans for more than 100 flats near the train station in Bury St Edmunds - an area of the town that is earmarked for regeneration - have been recommended to be refused.

Suffolk Coastal MP Dr Therese Coffey (centre) with members of her team and Fern Howard (left) from the Alzheimer’s Society

It follows a visit by the Alzheimer’s Society, who run the Dementia Friends scheme, to help Dr Coffey and her staff understand the effect of dementia on everyday lives.

Lifeboat

Coastguard services were called to rescue a teenager in Corton, near Lowestoft yesterday evening.

Major fire at a fish and chip shop on Beach Road in Hemsby.

Picture: James Bass

Villagers and businesses in Hemsby have vowed to pull together after a huge fire ripped through a chip shop.

Most read

Most commented

Topic pages