Ipswich: Three-time drink driver Mark Clarke banned again

Drink-driver disqualified after third offence Drink-driver disqualified after third offence

Wednesday, March 26, 2014
3:00 PM

A three-time drink-driver has been banned from the road for four years and ordered to pay fines and costs totalling nearly £1,000.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

Mark Clarke, of Stone Street, Crowfield, near Ipswich, pleaded guilty to driving while above the legal alcohol limit and not having a valid MoT certificate, when he appeared before South East Suffolk Magistrates Court.

The 40-year-old denied he had a drink problem after being banned on two previous occasions in the past 12 years.

Clarke was caught by police on March 2 while driving a black Mercedes C220 on Bury Road in Ipswich.

Prosecutor Lesla Small said an officer stopped Clarke’s car after just after noon it was travelling at 43mph in a 30mph zone.

During their conversation Clarke told the officer he had consumed alcohol and had been drinking with friends.

Clarke was arrested and given a breath test.

The reading showed he had 66 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath. The legal limit is 35mcgs.

Clarke had previously been caught drink-driving in May 2002 and May 2009. On the last occasion he had been disqualified from driving for 27 months.

Clarke’s solicitor told the magistrates: “This man does not have drink problems. It was simply an issue where he made a mistake.

“He realises he has been stupid.”

In addition to Clarke’s four-year ban he was fined £700 for the drink-driving offence and £100 for failing to have a valid MoT certificate.

He was also ordered to pay £85 towards prosecution costs and £70 to the victims’ fund.

A second drink-driver was also banned when he appeared before the same court.

Elviss Kemezs, of Suffolk Road, Ipswich, admitted drink-driving, having no insurance, and not having a valid licence.

The 19-year-old was caught by police at the junction of Chevallier Street and Bramford Road when he was driving a black Lexus Sport on January 11.

He had 77mcgs of alcohol in 100mls of breath.

Magistrates disqualified Kemezs from driving for 22 months.

He was also giving fines totalling £450 as well as being told to pay £85 costs and £20 to the victims’ fund.

6 comments

  • Elviss Kemezs, of Suffolk Road, Ipswich, admitted drink-driving, having no insurance, and NOT HAVING A VALID LICENCE. What a great detterent a ban is, this will obviously stop him driving...

    Report this comment

    DaveHedgehog

    Wednesday, March 26, 2014

  • Until there is a real deterrent this sort of behaviour will continue , pathetic country ! The only reason there isn't is becuase there is so much tax revenue raised through alcohol sales that no government would implement it !

    Report this comment

    Poppys Dad

    Wednesday, March 26, 2014

  • Mr Clarke was almost twice over the legal alcohol limit at noon when caught for the third identical offence yet his solicitor says he doesn't have a problem!!! This excuse for a man and others like him who seem to think its ok to drink, drive and endanger other people's lives need to be taken off our roads before they kill someone. I have no sympathy for people like this, there is no excuse and no defence for drink driving. Rant over.

    Report this comment

    MZH

    Wednesday, March 26, 2014

  • I'm sure this won't get by the moderators but here goes .... Mr Clarke doesn't have a drink problem according to his solicitor, in that case he must be an arrogant, selfish idiot to be almost twice over the legal limit when caught for the third time. It's just luck that people like this end up in court not in a mortuary or worse - killing someone else. There is no excuse for drink driving, you make that choice yourself and put others at risk by doing so. Maybe more of a deterrent would be to send convicted drink drivers along with police to explain to a recently bereaved family that their loved one was killed by a drink driver.

    Report this comment

    MZH

    Wednesday, March 26, 2014

  • It's open to the courts to order the confiscation of the tools a criminal uses to commit his crimes. Surely in cases like these, the cars are the tools, so should be confiscated.

    Report this comment

    beerlover

    Wednesday, March 26, 2014

  • As for Mr Kemezs, What is the point of disqualifying someone who doesn't have a licence, clearly a lack of licence has never stopped him from driving before so why should now be any different? Personally I'd crush any car he was found to be driving, make it a very expensive problem and maybe that would help keep people like this off the roads!

    Report this comment

    MZH

    Wednesday, March 26, 2014

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

loading...

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT