A care home for dementia sufferers in Ipswich has been closed to visitors following the outbreak of a winter vomiting virus.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

Care UK has confirmed that a “small number” of residents and staff at its Crabbe Street care home were suffering from the illness, known as the Norovirus, forcing its part-closure.

“The home has been closed to visitors in order to contain the virus, but if close relatives want to visit then Care UK is recommending this visit is kept to a minimum,” a spokesman for the company said.

“Visitors are requested to respect Care UK’s hygiene measures and frequently use the hand sanitisers available.”

The company said it implemented an “enhanced cleaning programme” following the first outbreak of the virus.

A “deep clean” was also carried out at the weekend.

“The situation has been handled in the best way possible, with the home in regular communication with the Health Protection Agency and Care UK’s infection control unit,” the spokesman added.

A Suffolk County Council spokesman said the Norovirus, also known as the “winter vomiting bug” was common at this time of year but was usually mild and should not last more than a couple of days.

“However, older people or those with underlying health conditions can be more at risk and viruses spread easily,” the spokesman added.

“We offer sensible advice to reduce the risk of any spreading of viruses such as always keeping up good personal hygiene, and, if you have a virus, staying away from work or school, even 48 hours after symptoms stop and avoid seeing any friends or relatives.

“If you do show symptoms it is important not to visit GP or hospital instead you should phone if you have any concerns, but do, as general rule, ensure you get plenty of rest and take plenty of fluids.”

The Crabbe Street care home provides support for up to 31 residents living with dementia.

The facility’s latest Care Quality Commission inspection, carried out in May 2013, determined the care home had met all standards expected of it.

1 comment

  • the day care centre also had it also with a number of day care visitors catching it

    Report this comment

    pandy

    Tuesday, February 25, 2014

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

loading...

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT