max temp: 12°C

min temp: 8°C

ESTD 1874 Search

Ipswich: Work on New Academy finally gets under way after years of delay

11:33 30 June 2014

Staff, students and visitors watch MP Ben Gummer cutting the first turf at Suffolk New Academy,

Staff, students and visitors watch MP Ben Gummer cutting the first turf at Suffolk New Academy,


Work to rebuild one of the most dilapidated high schools in Ipswich has finally started – four years after the original proposals were shelved in austerity cuts.

Chantry High School was due to be rebuilt under the previous government’s Building Schools for the Future programme which was scrapped by the incoming coalition in 2010 because of a lack of funds.

Since then Ipswich MP Ben Gummer, school officials, and councillors have been fighting to get the rebuild plans back on track – the current 50-year-old building is in a poor condition.

Now renamed Suffolk New Academy, the school’s rebuild was confirmed by the Department for Education last year, and the design was approved by planners in early 2014.

Work has now started on the rebuilding project, which should be completed in time for the start of the 2015/16 academic year. It is one of 261 schools across the country that are being rebuild in a £2.4billion national programme.

Secretary of State for Education Michael Gove said: “I am delighted that construction has started at Suffolk New Academy as part of this Government’s Priority School Building Programme.”

Mr Gummer is also Mr Gove’s Parliamentary Private Secretary and was at the school to mark the start of work on the site.

He said: “This is something I have been pressing for ever since I was first elected and the previous scheme was scrapped. It has been a long campaign – and until you actually see work starting you can’t quite believe it will all happen. So from that point of view this is very good news.”

Suffolk New Academy principal Andrew Fell added: “We are very excited about the start of our building project, it is a great moment for everyone concerned with the Academy and for the local community.

“Everyone has been working extremely hard to ensure all plans are in place and we are confident that the building will be completed and ready to open in September 2015.”

Contractors from Kier have started on site, and expect to complete the rebuild by summer 2015. The project includes a new-build school for 900 pupils, providing modern facilities that will benefit the local community for many years to come.


  • Obviously the work is being done is stages and different areas at different times to minimise disruption and with safety in mind...

    Report this comment

    K Mcc

    Monday, June 30, 2014

  • Great news for the school and the community, sad for many though who have attended and had many a laugh in the blocks to be demolished...Chantry boy for life!!

    Report this comment

    I'm right,your not!!

    Monday, June 30, 2014

  • So at last a new building for the Chantry area. However, there is no mention of where the 'teenagers' will be 'put'... unless they have to endanger themselves with a building site.

    Report this comment

    Neil Nield

    Monday, June 30, 2014

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

Empty classroom

Education bosses in Suffolk have welcomed latest figures which mark the county’s highest school attendance record in the last decade.

David Wood, 61, from Woodbridge, went missing while walking in the French Alps in August. Pictured: David Wood and his Wife Valerie Armstrong

The wife of a Woodbridge man who went missing while walking in France three months ago says she has been ‘wrapped in a cloak of love’ by people in the town since his disappearance.

Celebrate Halloween at events across Suffolk.

It’s nearly Halloween and there is a variety of events across Suffolk this half term to keep your little monsters entertained no matter what their age.

Greenstead roundabout after its lick of paint

A roundabout has been given a new lease of life thanks to a revolutionary line-painting technique.

Corrie McKeague

It is exactly one month to the day since 23-year-old Corrie McKeague apparently vanished in Bury St Edmunds – yet people with potentially vital information still have not come forward.

A Class 90 locomotive with Mark III carriages on an InterCity train.

When Abellio won the Greater Anglia rail franchise for the next nine years, the most eye-catching pledge was to replace every train, every carriage operated by the company by the end of 2020.

Ex matron Mary Hunt with son, Barry Ward, is launching a community interest company to help support people with down syndrome and their family
There's been talk in the media about down syndrome and whether its ethical to eradicate it, and this lady has some strong views because her son  has the condition, on Monday at 
Beyea Healthcare, Westerfield House, Westerfield business centre, Westerfield Road, Ipswich,

A registered nurse is launching a community interest company to support people with Down’s syndrome and similar conditions after the experiences her son.

Most read

Great Days Out


Click here to view
the Great Days Out


Most commented


Show Job Lists


Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

MyDate24 MyPhotos24