Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 20°C

min temp: 12°C

Search

Kentford: 60-home scheme is approved while larger bid is turned down

PUBLISHED: 10:01 26 February 2014 | UPDATED: 10:02 26 February 2014

PA Wire/Press Association Images

Controversial plans to potentially double a west Suffolk village’s population with a major new housing scheme have been approved.

The application to build 60 properties at Kentford Lodge in Kentford, near Newmarket, was agreed by Forest Heath’s development control committee, while a rival development on land east of Gazeley Road was rejected.

Both Kentford and Moulton Parish Councils had called for both applications to be rejected, feeling they were both too big.

However, the general feeling among panel members was that the scheme – submitted by Robert Boyce, Kentford Developments Ltd and Pigeon Investment – was a good application given the need to provide housing across the district.

Councillor Bill Bishop said: “Whilst I appreciate the parish council’s view, and their members may disagree with it, we have to look at the facts and build enough homes for people to live in. What we’ve got to do is make sure with the
housing comes the infrastructure.”

Councillor Simon Cole praised the scheme’s comparatively open density, which would provide a lot of space between the houses.

Councillor David Gathercole said: “I have great sympathy for the parish council, but we are governed by the national planning policy framework, which is developer-led. All these developments that are coming before us, as much as we feel that some of them might be wrong, the presumption is in favour of approval.”

The application also allows for 579 square metres of office space and 18 affordable homes. The developers will have to contribute almost £220,000 to meet education and pre-school provision in the area.

The rival application came from Persimmon Homes, which threatened Forest Heath with legal action after council officers recommended the application for refusal. Among the reasons the panel rejected the application were because of concerns over a former landfill site near the area, which the Environment Agency wanted further testing for before it would approve any building at the site.

It is the latest in a series of large-scale development proposals in Forest Heath, with Lakenheath, Newmarket and Red Lodge also subject to applications from developers.

1 comment

  • thank god i do not live there , were those houses built or just thrown there.

    Report this comment

    TERENCE MANNING

    Wednesday, February 26, 2014

A crowdfunding page has been set up to support the family of Ron Ramsey, who died after being hit by car in St Osyth earlier this month.

Time-lapse footage showing reinstallation of the Ewell Bridge across the A12 at Kelvedon has been released.

Pop singer Ariana Grande has suspended her tour following the Manchester terror attack, cancelling planned dates at London’s O2 Arena tomorrow and Friday.

Drivers in Cambridgeshire are being reminded that roads may be busier than usual this weekend due to the Duxford Air Festival.

Preparations for the fourth annual summer show in Rendlesham are almost complete.

Stansted Airport says it is continuing to monitor the security situation closely following the increase of the national threat status to critical.

A Colchester man has been convicted of conspiring to murder his stepfather in a dispute over his inheritance.

Most read

Eating Out in the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Eating Out
supplement

View

Visit the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Visit the Broads
supplement

View

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24