Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 18°C

min temp: 12°C

Search

Kentford: Council could face judicial review from applicants behind housing

PUBLISHED: 09:58 12 January 2014 | UPDATED: 10:07 12 January 2014

Archant

Plans for as many as 150 homes in a small village have been put back as the planning authority faces a potential judicial review.

Three separate development applications on land in Kentford, near Newmarket, were due to be debated by Forest Heath District Council’s development control panel on Wednesday.

The council had recommended two applications –one for 16 homes off Bury Road, the other for 88 homes on land east of Gazeley Road – be refused, and that another for 60 homes at Herringswell Road be approved.

However, Forest Heath has been notified of a potential legal challenge from solicitors acting on behalf of Persimmon Homes – the applicant for the development off Gazeley Road.

The 16-home application for Bury Road has also been withdrawn.

A council spokeswoman said: “The council has received notice of a potential challenge of judicial review in relation to all of these applications.

“The council is taking legal advice on this matter to ensure that the committee are provided with the appropriate level of information and advice to enable members to make an informed decision on planning applications.”

The two applications will now go before the development control committee in February.

The scheme recommended for approval has been submitted by Robert Bryce, Kentford Developments Ltd and Pigeon Investment, and has been scaled back from 98 properties.

It is not the first time potential housing development had caused problems in the village.

Plans to build more than 100 homes at Meddler Stud were rejected by Forest Heath last year, and again at appeal due to the impact it would have on the horse racing industry.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

A 50-year-old man from Cambridgeshire who was arrested after a fatal crash on the A140 on Tuesday will appear in court tomorrow to face dangerous driving charges.

Emergency services including firefighters, police and paramedics are at the scene of a serious crash in Lowestoft.

An Essex father who threw a corrosive liquid at a teenager outside a popular restaurant in Walton-on-the-Naze will now face years behind bars.

A jealous Suffolk man who fired a BB gun at a car after finding text messages from the vehicle’s owner on his partner’s phone has been jailed for ten months.

A group of men from London are facing drugs charges and money laundering offences after a police chase on the A14 at the weekend.

A former geography teacher from Essex says that schoolchildren should be taught more about what to do if a natural disaster occurs after getting caught up in the earthquake which hit Kos last week.

Drivers heading home from work in west Suffolk this evening could face long delays on the A11 after a lorry tipped over on the southbound carriageway near Barton Mills.

Most read

Eating Out in the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Eating Out
supplement

View

Visit the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Visit the Broads
supplement

View

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24