Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 25°C

min temp: 16°C

ESTD 1874 Search

Kentford: Council could face judicial review from applicants behind housing

09:58 12 January 2014

Archant

Plans for as many as 150 homes in a small village have been put back as the planning authority faces a potential judicial review.

shares

Three separate development applications on land in Kentford, near Newmarket, were due to be debated by Forest Heath District Council’s development control panel on Wednesday.

The council had recommended two applications –one for 16 homes off Bury Road, the other for 88 homes on land east of Gazeley Road – be refused, and that another for 60 homes at Herringswell Road be approved.

However, Forest Heath has been notified of a potential legal challenge from solicitors acting on behalf of Persimmon Homes – the applicant for the development off Gazeley Road.

The 16-home application for Bury Road has also been withdrawn.

A council spokeswoman said: “The council has received notice of a potential challenge of judicial review in relation to all of these applications.

“The council is taking legal advice on this matter to ensure that the committee are provided with the appropriate level of information and advice to enable members to make an informed decision on planning applications.”

The two applications will now go before the development control committee in February.

The scheme recommended for approval has been submitted by Robert Bryce, Kentford Developments Ltd and Pigeon Investment, and has been scaled back from 98 properties.

It is not the first time potential housing development had caused problems in the village.

Plans to build more than 100 homes at Meddler Stud were rejected by Forest Heath last year, and again at appeal due to the impact it would have on the horse racing industry.

shares

0 comments

Seth and Eliza Gaw loved Latitude but planning was key, says dad Matt Gaw

With the mounting costs of family holidays, events like Latitude can be a genuine alternative to a traditional bucket and spade break.

The coffin of Stuart Cullen is carried from the RAF C-17 at RAF Brize Norton in Oxfordshire.

The body of Suffolk man Stuart Cullen, one of 38 people killed in the Tunisian terror attack, has been returned to Britain today.

The incident happened on the A12

A lane on the A12 at the Foxhall roundabout near Martlesham was blocked following a three-vehicle crash.

Abellio Greater Anglia

Train services have returned to normal between Ipswich and Felixstowe this evening following problems caused by a broken down train.

A broken down train has blocked the Marks Tey to Sudbury route

A broken down train has forced services between Sudbury and Marks Tey to be suspended – with delays expected for the rest of the day.

National Lottery winners pictured helping out on a build at Black Notley Community Association in Braintree, Essex. Pictured are the team working hard in the sunshine to complete the job.

Lottery winners with a combined worth of £25million mucked in to help create a holiday haven in Black Notley.

Hundreds of families gathered at Portman Road to watch the outdoor screening of Frozen.

Portman Road was transformed to a world of snowflakes and ice despite the 26C (78.8F) sunshine this morning.

Suffolk county councillor Lisa Chambers

More than 90% of parents in Suffolk have had their first-choice places accepted for their children starting school this September, it has been revealed.

The official opening of the Willows Children's Centre in Magdalene Close, Ipswich.

A nursery in Ipswich has celebrated gaining an ‘outstanding’ Ofsted rating for a third consecutive time.

Bolts of lightning during the storms above Ipswich in the early hours of Saturday, pictured by Tina Boniface

Fierce lightning storms swept over Suffolk and Essex last night.

Most read

Most commented

Topic pages