Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 4°C

min temp: 2°C

ESTD 1874 Search

Kesgrave: Three interviewed by detectives in school abuse probe

17:35 08 April 2014

Inquiry continues into school abuse allegations

Inquiry continues into school abuse allegations

Archant

Three men have been interviewed by detectives over allegations of sexual and physical abuse at the former Kesgrave Hall school.

Police have said no arrests have been made to date during the renewed inquiry which has been ongoing for just over 12 months.

The trio all attended their interviews voluntarily.

More than 20 people have now been spoken to after allegations from former pupils of the private school re-surfaced in December 2012.

At the time Suffolk Constabulary claimed in a reply to a Freedom of Information request by an ex-student that it did not have the files from the original inquiry in 1992.

However, following an intervention by Central Suffolk and North Ipswich MP Dr Dan Poulter the claim proved to be incorrect.

Mr Poulter wrote to the then Chief Constable Simon Ash who asked for the matter to be looked into.

Subsequently a new inquiry was ordered.

In 1992 the Crown Prosecution Service said there was not enough evidence to prosecute any of the alleged abusers following a complaint from a former member of the independent school’s care staff.

Four members of staff who had been suspended for seven weeks returned to their posts.

Kesgrave Hall, which was said to cater for children with emotional and learning difficulties, closed a year later.

The former pupil who contacted Suffolk police in 2012 said he felt compelled try to get a fresh inquiry following the publicity over calls for a re-investigation into abuse at childrens’ homes in North Wales.

The ex-student said “That abuse was prolific in residential institutions in the 1970s and 1980s. I witnessed it first-hand, and the story needs to be told.

“I wasn’t prepared to stand back and watch something being brushed under the carpet.”

Richard Jones, a spokesman for Suffolk Constabulary said: “Suffolk Police can confirm that three men have been interviewed in relation to allegations of historic offences at Kesgrave Hall boarding school ranging from the 1970s to the 1990s.

“All three men voluntarily attended the interviews and none were arrested at any stage.

“Officers continue the investigation and to date have spoken to around 22 people who attended the school at the time.”

Anyone who wishes to contact police relating to the inquiry should telephone 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.

Police have sealed off Stone Street in Crowfield after concerns for the welfare of a man at a property in the village.

A stand-off with a man believed to be armed in Crowfield which has been ongoing since 11.15pm on Monday has been resolved peacefully, police have said.

Ex Royal Air Force Serviceman Richard Philpotts, of Stowmarket, Suffolk was sentenced on 16 January 2017 to three years’ imprisonment following conviction in relation to a single victim of one offence of indecent assault on a child below the age of 14, committed between 1986 and 1987.

A former RAF corporal and scout master has been jailed at a court martial for three years for the sexual abuse of a boy scout more than 30 years ago in Germany.

Prime Minister Theresa May speaks during Prime Minister's Questions in the House of Commons, London. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Picture date: Wednesday January 18, 2017. See PA story POLITICS PMQs May. Photo credit should read: PA Wire

People must take flood warnings seriously, the Prime Minister has said after the region was put on high alert over a tidal surge last week.

A120 at Marks Tey

A potential new dualled A120 route between Braintree and Marks Tey will cost between £475million and £825m, it was announced yesterday.

Campaigner Jill Reece on the barrow crossing at Halesworth Station.

Work will be carried out next week to install gates at a station crossing on the east Suffolk rail line after campaigners fought off moves to close it.

The launch of the trial at Sudbury fire station

Lives have been saved as a result of a pilot scheme which has seen cardiac arrest emergencies in parts of the county dealt with by firefighters.

Before and after shots of the Balkerne Bridge in Colchester

An iconic bridge in Colchester has been removed temporarily while Essex County Council work to widen it.

Most read

Great Days Out

cover

Click here to view
the Great Days Out
supplement

View

Most commented

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Streetlife

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

MyDate24 MyPhotos24