Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 21°C

min temp: 14°C

Search

Lakenheath: Couple’s home of 41 years badly damaged in fire

PUBLISHED: 11:46 14 April 2011

The aftermath of the fire in Anchor Lane, Lakenheath late on Tuesday afternoon.; Mike and Anne Chambers at their Anchor House home badly damaged in the blaze

The aftermath of the fire in Anchor Lane, Lakenheath late on Tuesday afternoon.; Mike and Anne Chambers at their Anchor House home badly damaged in the blaze

Archant

A COUPLE are coming to terms with severe damage to their home of 41 years following a fire which began next door.

Two neighbouring properties in Anchor Lane, Lakenheath, were involved in the blaze which was spotted at about 3.30pm on Tuesday.

Mike and Anne Chambers, who are retired, had been out shopping when they returned home to find the fence on fire at the back of the property. They tried to use a hose pipe, but soon realised this was not going to work and called the fire brigade.

The blaze, which is believed to have began as a bonfire in the garden of the neighbouring property, has meant the extension to their home is now unsafe to enter.

The original part of their home – which Mrs Chambers said used to be the old Anchor Inn and was at least 400 years old – is stable.

The neighbouring property, which was unoccupied, is said to be structurally stable, but a number of outbuildings were destroyed.

Mrs Chambers said while it was their home, the main thing was that they were unhurt.

She said: “It’s just a very unfortunate accident. What can we do? We are fine.”

Yesterday, the couple said they were unable to stay in the older part of their house as there was no electricity or water, not to mention the hole in the wall caused by the fire.

They were waiting for loss adjusters to arrive so they can plan their next steps.

Mrs Chambers said: “I just don’t know what to do for the best. Last night [Tuesday] we thought hopefully we could stay in the front two rooms, but we couldn’t.”

The couple managed to stay with neighbours the night after the fire. They said their neighbours have been brilliant and also wanted to thank the firefighters.

While crews worked to put out the fire they also helped remove possessions from the building.

Crews from Brandon, Mildenhall and Norfolk were sent to the scene. The effort involved 15 firefighters.

A spokeswoman for the fire service said the blaze, which was out at about 6.40pm, was not under investigation.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Police have confirmed no suspicious device has been found after the Center Parcs resort in Elveden was evacuated this evening.

Thousands of families and eager festival-goers braved the changeable weather this weekend to enjoy top bands, food and art at Jimmy’s Festival.

The wealth of “enthusiasm” for keeping Sudbury tidy has been revealed at a meeting organised by the town council, which plans to get the community’s efforts “on the map”.

Trains running to and from London Liverpool Street are being delayed, cancelled and revised as a result of a signalling issue this evening.

A 79-year-old man reported missing from Kedington near Haverhill has been found.

Suffolk New College is launching its summer programme of sports sessions for youngsters this week.

This is the story of the Neptune Inn in Fore Street, but before we learn of its history there are two diversionary tales, writes John Norman.

Most read

Eating Out in the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Eating Out
supplement

View

Visit the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Visit the Broads
supplement

View

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24