Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 3°C

min temp: 6°C

ESTD 1874 Search

Long Melford: Planning inspector backs decision to reject controversial development

16:00 18 June 2014

The access road to the proposed David Wilson Homes development was deemed unsafe for pedestrians

The access road to the proposed David Wilson Homes development was deemed unsafe for pedestrians

Villagers who campaigned against a 51-home development in the heart of their historic village have scored a victory after a planning inspector upheld a decision to reject the controversial scheme.

shares

David Wilson Homes’ plans to develop the former Fleetwood Caravans factory site in Long Melford were thrown out by Babergh District Council last June on the grounds of pedestrian safety.

Planning committee members said access to the site – including roads and pavements – was “inadequate and dangerous”.

The developer submitted an appeal to the Secretary of State and a three-day public inquiry took place earlier this year, attended by around 50 Long Melford residents who set up a protest group to fight the application.

It has just been announced that planning inspector Isobel McCretton has decided to uphold Babergh’s decision. In her report, she said although there were benefits of using brownfield sites for development – especially for affordable housing provision – the safety of pedestrians was paramount.

She added: “The scale of the development proposed increases the potential for vehicle/pedestrian conflict.

“As such I find that the proposal would not provide safe and suitable access for all people, as required by the (national planning policy) framework, and would be detrimental to vehicular and pedestrian safety.”

Ms McCretton said as Babergh had already 
demonstrated a five-year supply of housing land, there was no immediate imperative for the site to be used for new homes.

Peter Beer, chairman of the council’s planning committee, was pleased with the outcome.

He added: “Babergh’s planning committee thoroughly considered the report and debated the matter in an open and transparent manner.

“The public inquiry was extremely well attended where Babergh successfully defended its decision.”

According to Long Melford Parish Council chairman Peter Turner, the planning application for the Fleetwood site was “lacking on some important practical aspects”.

He said: “It is pleasing to hear the planning inspector took note of the views of many local people. The parish council is not against the principle of development on this site but let’s get it right.”

A David Wilson Homes spokesman said: “David Wilson Homes is disappointed with the inspector’s decision to refuse the appeal.

“We will be taking time to reflect on the decision notice and will be reviewing our options going forward.”

shares

1 comment

  • This site could now become a white elephant. Developers will be put off for anything other than housing, uses. What I have not seen from any serious organisations or groups are alternative suggestions for the site. It was a factory but we already have two industrial estates nearby so not a factory again. I have read a suggestion of a village centre car park but surely there was opposition to vehicle movements in and out the site. A car park would create even more.

    Report this comment

    The original Victor Meldrew

    Thursday, June 19, 2014

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

Suffolk Fire and Rescue crews have rescued a person from a house fire

Fire crews rescued a man in his 80s trapped in a house on fire this morning near Lowestoft.

Sudbury Town centre

An ambitious project to ensure that Suffolk people remain healthy and independent for as long as possible is being launched in the Sudbury area.

Red Poll cattle in the fields around The Suffolk Food Hall, Ipswich.

The Suffolk Show is set to stage the first national competition for the iconic county cattle breed, the Red Poll.

Michael Davey (left)

Tributes have poured in for a “hugely influential” teacher who will be “profoundly missed” by staff, students and parents of a Suffolk independent school.

1992 - Newly opened Buttermarket, Ipswich

Ipswich’s biggest shopping centre could see a new lease of life with restaurants and leisure facilities joining retail space after being bought for £9.2million.

Roy Jackson

A dishonest Suffolk letting agent who cheated his clients out of tens of thousands of pounds has been ordered to hand over his realisable assets of nearly £3,000.

Women urged to use their vote

Women from a wide range of backgrounds are encouraging others in Bury St Edmunds to stand up and be counted in the forthcoming general election.

Teenager Wafa Benaziza

A 14-year-old girl who was reported missing by her family last week was found safe in London last night.

Inside the former Fison's building in Princes Street, Ipswich that is going to undergo a multi million pound redevelopment.  Cllr David Ellesmere with Malcolm Hobbs of Hobbs Read ltd

Work on a £9million office redevelopment of the former Fisons headquarters building is due to get underway in April, it was announced today.

Emergency services at the scene of an accident on the A134 at Fornham.

A driver who was taken to hospital after a serious crash in west Suffolk yesterday is still in a critical condition.

Most read

Most commented

Topic pages