Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 10°C

min temp: 5°C

ESTD 1874 Search

Long Melford: Villagers’ concerns about housing plans

11:00 12 December 2012

Long Melford residents who delivered a petition to Babergh

Long Melford residents who delivered a petition to Babergh's council offices protesting against plans for 51 new homes in the village, fear their concerns are not being heard

Archant

RESIDENTS of a picturesque Suffolk tourist hotspot, who are protesting against a 51-home development in their village, fear their concerns are not being taken seriously by the district council.

shares

According to a neighbourhood group set up to fight plans to develop the former Fleetwood Caravans site in Long Melford, 250 letters of objection have been sent to councillors and staff at Babergh’s planning department. A petition containing more than 850 signatures was also delivered to the council’s officers last month protesting against the application by David Wilson Homes to build the housing estate off Hall Street in the heart of the village’s conservation area.

David Wilson Homes gave two presentations in Long Melford earlier this year, putting forward their vision for the site. The official public consultation period for the plans has now closed. But group member Vivian Woodward said residents had not received any respsonse from Babergh concerning the points they had raised in their letters and petition.

He added: “There has been such a lot of opposition to this and Babergh has not repsonded to anything we have said. In order to satisfy the huge amount of public oppostion to this development, we feel that the council and the developers owe it to us to come to the village, hold a public meeting and give us some answers.”

Another group member, Christine Watts, said there was a mixture of “despair and outrage” in the village because it appeared that the weight of residents’ concerns was “falling on deaf ears”. She added: “The planners and developers have been in detailed discussions about what changes are needed to allow approval (for the plans), but what these discussions are about, the villagers have yet to discover. And all this is against the backdrop of the Localism Bill, which is supposed to enable people to get involved and have a say about the future of their villages.”

Residents want to see the site retained for business purposes in a bid to create employment in the village.

Their main concerns about the plans are the “inadequate and dangerous” access to the site, increased demand for parking on the high street and the scale of the development.The county highways department has recommended the application be refused on similar grounds. A Babergh spokesman said a request for a meeting with residents had only just been received. The authority confirmed that about 75 letters of objection had been sent to the council with others sent to individual councillors. The plans have not yet been scheduled to go before Babergh’s planning committee.

shares

2 comments

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

The White Horse pub in Sudbury is selling Zebra, Camel and Bison at its special steak night

While squirrel has been popping up on the menu of adventurous restaurants across Suffolk in recent months, it appears that the people of Sudbury have even more exotic tastes.

The MSC Oscar en route in the North Sea to its next port of call.

Hundreds of ship-spotters are expected to line the shore as the Port of Felixstowe welcomes the world’s largest container ship on Monday – just two months after the last holder of the title sailed into the harbour.

Tawny owl

Two men who were suspected by police of being responsible for the illegal trapping and killing of a tawny owl in west Suffolk will not be charged.

The Causeway in Hitcham

Hundreds of pounds in cash and jewellery were stolen from a home in Hitcham.

Temporary chief constable Gareth Wilson and police and crime commissioner Tim Passmore

Suffolk Constabulary is pledging to support a national campaign aimed at promoting trust, integration and cohesion within communities.

Mariusz Kuliga, 21, wanted by the Met as part of Operation Sunfire 4

A man wanted by Polish authorities in connection with five armed robberies could be in Essex.

Staff at work in the control room at Sizewell A - it has now been closed down after 50 years of operation.

For the first time in half a century, the main control room at a Suffolk nuclear power station which has generated enough electricity to boil a trillion kettles has fallen silent.

GV - Ipswich Crown Court

A 74-year-old Suffolk man has been cleared of seven child sex offences by a jury which failed to reach verdicts on seven other charges.

The scene of a one car collision with a tree on Ashbocking Road near Henley.

Police have found a man who had gone missing after a road traffic collision between a car and a tree in Ashbocking Road, Henley on Thursday night.

Engineers checking the level crossing after carrying out repairs after it was struck by a skip lorry on a previous occasion. Photo: Bill Smith

Traffic delays on the A1065 in Brandon have been caused by a signal failure.

Most read

Most commented

Topic pages