Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 11°C

min temp: 5°C

ESTD 1874 Search

Lowestoft: Patrick O’Brien killed himself after serving jail term for child pornography offences

13:30 15 January 2014

Patrick OBrien

Patrick OBrien

An 81-year-old man took his own life after his release from prison for child pornography offences.


Patrick O’Brien, of Bonds Meadow, Oulton Broad, killed himself at his home five months after the death of his wife Brenda – and more than six months after his latest conviction for child pornography offences.

An inquest yesterday in Lowestoft heard the body of Mr O’Brien, who was a retired civil fabricator, was found at his home on August 13 last year.
His body was discovered by a police officer who was attempting to make contact with him.

Suffolk coroner Dr Peter Dean said: “We hear he was found hanging at the home address. It is clear from the circumstance and notes that Mr O’Brien understood and intended the consequences of his action.”

Dr Dean recorded a verdict that Mr O’Brien had killed himself.

Although not mentioned at the inquest Mr O’ Brien had returned to his home after his release from a six month prison sentence for his second child pornography conviction.

At the time he was made subject of a sexual offences prevention order restricting his use of computer equipment.

Officers then found Mr O’Brien had set up an MSN messaging account in breach of the prevention order and stored a number of images.

Last February he was jailed for six months after admitting two offences of making indecent images of children, two offences of possessing indecent images, one offence of possessing prohibited images and attempted breach of a sexual offences prevention order. Mr O’Brien had pleaded guilty in 2007 to making and possessing indecent images of children.

Last June an inquest heard his wife’s body was discovered on March 6 last year after a neighbour contacted police when she received no answer while calling at the O’Briens’ home.

At the end of that hearing the coroner recorded a narrative finding which said Mrs O’Brien, 72 and a retired school dinner lady, had died from a combination of hypoglycemic coma due to diabetes, and scalding while in the bath.



South East Suffolk Magistrates' Court

A former servicemen has been banned from driving after crashing his car on Remembrance Sunday while nearly three times the legal alcohol limit.

Concerns for police staff over jobs

Hundreds of Suffolk Constabulary civilian staff face an anxious wait this week to discover the impact of a multi-million pound cost-cutting programme.

Tim Holder, director of the Suffolk Community Foundation, with Surviving Winter supporter, former journalist and TV presenter Christine Webber

A campaign to combat fuel poverty in Suffolk has helped more than 100 people to stay warm this winter in the first three weeks since its launch.

Braintree woman Josie Lucas, who has flown to Mexico to find missing boyfriend Dean Lucas

An Essex woman has flown out to Mexico amid growing concerns for her partner who went missing on a trip in Mexico last week.

Drink-driver in court

A company director has lost his licence after admitting drink-driving while travelling at 94mph on the A14.

Ipswich Crown Court.

A 21-year-old Ipswich man who attacked two guests at a party with a machete has been jailed for nine years.

Rail passengers are facing a day of disruption due to overrunning engineering work in Cambridgeshire.

Most read

Most commented

Topic pages

Local business directory

Our trusted business finder

Property search

e.g. Oxford or NW3
Powered by Zoopla

Digital Edition

Read the East Anglian Daily Times e-edition today E-edition

Great British Life

Great British Life
MyDate24 MyPhotos24