Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 15°C

min temp: 8°C

Search

Accused ‘put hands over ears’ as child sex assault claims were read out in court

PUBLISHED: 15:01 11 October 2018 | UPDATED: 16:05 11 October 2018

A former Suffolk man begged police to stop as officers read out allegations of child sex assault to him, a court has heard.

During police interviews Stephen Grant, who was living in Hodson Close, Bury St Edmunds, at the time of the allegations in the 1990s, denied being sexually attracted to children, Ipswich Crown Court heard.

He told officers that being told about the allegations made by the alleged victims, who had been regular visitors to his house, had been “the biggest shock of his life.”

The court heard that when a police officer was outlining the allegations made by the girls to Grant he said: “Don’t read me any more. I don’t want to hear any more.”

In the interviews, which were read to the court, the officer explained to Grant he needed to hear the allegations so he could give his side of the story but he had then covered his ears with his hands and was seen to be shaking.

“All I can say is it’s all rubbish,” said Grant.

He told police he hadn’t touched any of the girls inappropriately and accused them of “telling a pack of lies”.

Grant, now aged 60, of Stretham Road, Wilburton, Ely, has denied ten offences of indecent assault and three of indecency with a child in respect of one of the alleged victims between 1995 and 1999 when she was aged between eight and 12, and one offence of indecent assault in relation to another girl between 1989 and 1991 when she was six or seven.

Grant has also denied attempted rape, indecency with a child and two offences of indecent assault on a third alleged victim between 1990 and 1996 when she was aged between five and ten.

On Thursday Judge John Devaux directed the jury to find Grant not guilty of three offences of indecent assault in respect of one of the girls.

Stephen Rose, prosecuting, said Grant lived alone and young children living in the area near him in Bury St Edmunds knew his door was always open and treats were on offer.

The trial continues.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

A jackknifed lorry has caused major traffic delays on the A14 in west Suffolk this morning.

The 90-year-old man who was found with serious injuries at the Suffolk home where his wife’s lifeless body was discovered, has also died.

An inquest has been opened and adjourned into the death of a 22-year-old high risk missing person from Hartest.

The tragic death of a woman in a crash on the A12 has sparked further calls for the road’s safety issues to be tackled.

A woman has died in a serious crash in north Suffolk – the second road fatality in the county during the past week.

A child has been injured after reportedly being hit by a suspect’s vehicle during a police car chase in Ipswich.

Police are treating the stabbing of an 18-year-old man in Felixstowe yesterday as a targeted attack.

Most read

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

MyDate24 MyPhotos24