Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 13°C

min temp: 8°C

Search

Martlesham: 99-year-old biscuits from the First World War fetch nearly six times guide price under auction

PUBLISHED: 17:30 19 June 2014 | UPDATED: 17:51 19 June 2014

Chris Elmy of Lockdales with the First World War biscuits

Chris Elmy of Lockdales with the First World War biscuits

After nearly a century in storage and time spent in a First World War trench, they are unlikely to inspire many appetites.

One of the biscuits sold at LockdalesOne of the biscuits sold at Lockdales

But despite their culinary deficiencies, two biscuits that survived the Great War have sold at auction for more than £340 - almost six times their guide price.

The wartime snacks went under the hammer at Lockdales auctioneers in Martlesham yesterday with a starting price of just £60. But after 10 collectors, from as far and wide as France and America, made bids for the unusual wartime memorabilia they went on to fetch £342.

A woman from England made the winning bid.James Sadler, auction manager said: “We are delighted to have had so many bidders - it was quite remarkable what the biscuits went for.”

Their original owner, was an LB Charles, who fought in the ill-fated battles of Gallipoli and the Dardanelles and returned to the UK with the biscuits.

It is believed the soldier in question was Lieutenant Lionel Bruce Charles of the 5th Battalion, The Queens Regiment, who is said to have lived for a time at Wroxham House, Norwich.

The biscuits, each marked with a label reading “Biscuits used by troops in Sulva Bay”, had been preserved for the past 99 years.

A 333 mile journey home for the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation finished on Saturday when the Hike4Hopey charity walkers arrived at St James’ Park, Newcastle.

Seven suspected Ukrainian illegal immigrants have been arrested after their yacht ran aground on the Suffolk coast today.

Several people were stuck for reportedly more than an hour on a ride at the Cymbeline Meadow fair, Colchester.

Family of a Suffolk man who died from a brain tumour have attended a ceremony to open a Quiet Room in his memory at Addenbrooke’s Hospital.

A spring cleaning campaign across west Suffolk has seen volunteers litter pick and remove more than 460 bags of waste from public open spaces.

Firefighters tackled a “needless” blaze at the former Manganese Bronze plant in Ipswich on Sunday night.

The fire in the top floor of the two-storey derelict building, behind houses on Hadleigh Road, was caused by trespassers.
 The fire was reported at around 5.30pm on April 30 and six crews, including an aerial appliance, were expected to battle the blaze for several hours last night.
 Station Commander Jon Southgate, of Princes Street station, said the fire was caused by someone deliberately or accidentally setting the fire.
 “There are numerous discarded needles around the site and from experience we know there will be needles inside as well,” he said. “We will not be entering the building because I want to ensure the safety of our firefighters. 
 “It is a shame that we are now going to have four crews fighting a completely needless and preventable fire.”

It may have been a forgettable season finish for Blues fans at Portman Road on Saturday – but one moment of magic should cheer even the most desolate of supporters.

Most read

Eating Out in the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Eating Out
supplement

View

Visit the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Visit the Broads
supplement

View
HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24