Overcast

Overcast

max temp: 11°C

min temp: 9°C

ESTD 1874 Search

The pigs are coming. Find out more about

Pigs Gone Wild

here.

Medical payout for UFO mystery airman following Rendlesham Forest encounter

13:46 10 March 2015

UFO walk in Rendlesham Forest

UFO walk in Rendlesham Forest

Archant

Britain’s most famous UFO mystery has taken a new twist after a witness won compensation for illnesses he blames on exposure to radiation from the event.

US airman John Burroughs secured the settlement after years of trying to prove his ill-health was caused by the encounter in Rendlesham Forest.

A former Ministry of Defence (MoD) official said the payout confirms what he saw was real and had caused him physical harm.

Mr Burroughs put forward a declassified report as evidence he had been injured during the event on Boxing Day 1980.

He said disability coverage from the US Veteran’s Association offered “some closure”, but that he now wanted unrestricted access to his full medical records.

“Every step along the way people have said it’s not true. Some people will always say that.

“I don’t know if I have the full answer, but no one thought I’d get this far,” said the ex-servicemen. Along with Jim Penniston, he was the first to investigate mysterious lights near the East Gate of RAF Woodbridge.

Theories included the glow of Orfordness Lighthouse, an elaborate hoax and a secret classified aircraft.

Lawyer Pat Frascogna, who represented the retired technical sergeant, said: “This excludes the bogus explanations put out there over the years. I cannot underscore what a major development this is. We’re more curious now than ever.

“We were denied access to records, mainly dating back to 1979, which we believe would have shown John had no health problems when he entered the air force, but that he developed heart problems and other ailments that arose from the incident.”

In fighting his case, Mr Burroughs used a declassified study code-named Project Condign, in which Rendlesham is described as an event where it “might be postulated that several observers were probably exposed to Unidentified Aerial Phenomena (UAP) radiation.”

Mr Frascogna said: “Condign specifically mentions the incident and how radiation from unidentified aerial phenomena could cause injury.

“John was able to furnish that document, and another dating back to the incident, when a radiation reading found levels to be significantly higher than normal.”

Mr Burroughs, who suffers heart problems and has a pacemaker, said: “I’m very happy we finally have some closure.

“Condign explained that there is a phenomenon that governments of this world are well aware of. The question is where it comes from.”

Four years ago, the MoD released 35 archives of UFO-related documents but then revealed that papers on Rendlesham had gone missing. Mr Burroughs believes the missing files may reveal further clues.

Nick Pope, author of Encounter in Rendlesham Forest: The Inside Story of the World’s Best-Documented UFO Incident, worked on the government’s UFO desk in the early 1990s.

He said: “After years of denial this is official confirmation that what they encountered was real, and caused them physical harm.

“This welcome development doesn’t give us a definitive explanation of the Rendlesham Forest incident, but it takes us ever closer to the truth.”

1 comment

  • A UFO trail, I don't believe it. There must be many more than one born every minute! Still, if we can send a space craft millions of miles into space, no doubt it happens the other way. That could explain the Mars bar wrapper I found in the garden the other day.

    Report this comment

    JOHN BURLS

    Tuesday, March 10, 2015

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

Suffolk County Council and Active Norfolk Aviva Women's Tour media ride launched in Southwold on Wednesday 25th May.

Some of the best female cyclists in the world visited Suffolk yesterday as preparations for next month’s Aviva Women’s Tour.

Inspector Julian Ditcham with the Drager Alcotest used by Suffolk Constabulary tests a motorist.

A 55-year-old woman has been jailed after driving while nearly four times the legal alcohol limit less than five months into a drink-drive ban.

A THAMES/SYCO TV PRODUCTION FOR ITV.  PICTURE SHOWS: RICHARD JONES

Colchester magician Richard Jones stunned judges on Britain’s Got Talent on Monday night, with his act securing him a place in Saturday’s final.

Inspector Julian Ditcham breath testing a motorist.

A drink-driver caught after leaving a Felixstowe pub has been banned from the road.

Carnival Queen Georgia Pilgrim and princesses Maisie Higgs and Chloe Thomas

The recently revived Sudbury Carnival will take place in a new location this year in a bid to attract more visitors.

Ruthie Henshall with students from West Suffolk College Conservatoire EAST

Theatre students were given a shock during their latest performance – when they were greeted by West End and Broadway star Ruthie Henshall sitting in the front row.

Missing Kelvedon man Chris May

Police searching for missing Kelvedon man Chris May have said they no longer expect to find him alive and are treating the case as a murder investigation.

Most read

Great Days Out

cover

Click here to view
the Great Days Out
supplement

View

Most commented

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Streetlife

Newsletter Sign Up

Great British Life

Great British Life
MyDate24 MyPhotos24