January 26 2015 Latest news:
Thursday, April 10, 2014
A planning application has been made for 180 new homes alongside the A12 on the edge of Woodbridge and Melton – the latest in a series of housing projects in east Suffolk’s smaller communities.
The plans have been expected ever since developers held a public exhibition of their ideas last year.
At the event, most residents did not object to the principle of development, but several voiced concerns about the potential impact of the proposals on the local infrastructure – including on road junctions, schools and doctors’ surgeries. The biggest concern was traffic and how this would add to peak-time capacity at the A12 Woods Lane junction.
Christchurch Land and Estates Limited has now submitted an outline application to Suffolk Coastal council for the 20-acre field.
In a report submitted to the council, landscape, design and planning experts Bradley Murphy Design said: “The proposals have responded to the landscape and townscape setting and are designed to provide an appropriate and sensitive residential extension to the settlement of Woodbridge to accommodate the housing needs.
“The proposals create an opportunity for the existing population to grow and for new residents to become part of Melton and Woodbridge.
“A balanced housing and tenure mix will address the local requirements of Melton and Woodbridge providing housing according to its current and future demographics.”
The project will feature homes ranging from one-bed flats to four-bed homes, and include 45 affordable properties and 15 shared equity.
The bridleway which runs through the site – which back in the 1830s was the main route north through this part of east Suffolk – will be kept, and a village green and wildlife corridors will be created, and existing trees retained.
On Woods Lane, a toucan crossing will be put in place to link to Bredfield Road and extra bus stops to enable the First Bus route 65 to stop outside the estate.
Suffolk Coastal says the district needs 7,900 new homes built by 2027 and the authority does not have the required five-year land supply.
The developers say they have responded to planning officers’ concerns by omitting plans for five-bed homes and widening the range of affordable properties.