max temp: 12°C

min temp: 8°C

ESTD 1874 Search

New Sainsbury’s in Colchester on B&Q site to bring welcome jobs

02 February, 2016 - 06:00
B&Q at the Hythe, Colchester, which could become a Sainsbury's.  Photo: James Fletcher

B&Q at the Hythe, Colchester, which could become a Sainsbury's. Photo: James Fletcher

Up to 460 jobs created by a new supermarket in Colchester would be welcome boost for the town according to the council leader.

Sainsbury’s revealed plans in August 2013 to take over the existing B&Q store in Lightship Way, at the Hythe, to create a new superstore – with the aim of opening by 2017.

Now the retail giant’s application for the site has been recommended for approval by Colchester Borough Council officers, subject to successful negotiation of cycle way and CCTV improvements, ahead of a provisional decision based on agreement to the works by the authority’s planning committee on Thursday.

Paul Smith, leader of Colchester Borough Council, said: “The first thing I always look at is are these new jobs and not just replacing existing jobs, and with supermarkets if it will result in the closure of community stores. That does not appear to be the case on this occasion, but it is down to the planning committee to ensure the proposals meet with the relevant policies.

“Colchester is growing fast, and is growing fast for retail, and we need the jobs to go with that growth.”

In a statement B&Q said: “We welcome the recommended planning decision.

“B&Q is very committed to serving the people of Colchester and we are actively considering opportunities to secure a viable, long-term location for our store in the area.”

The proposed new store would include 7,197sqm of retail floor space selling groceries and homeware, plus a cafe on a mezzanine floor, and employ 450 people in a mixture of full and part-time roles. A home delivery unit and “click and collect” section is also planned.

An additional ten jobs will be created with a pharmacy and a second concession, yet to be decided upon, within the store.

Sainsbury’s has agreed to some road and cycle path improvements, as well as one-year funding for more frequent bus services to the shop, as part of the plans but refused to pay further funding for wider works in the area such as a contribution to a new footbridge over the River Colne.

The retailer has also agreed to fund £700,000 improvements to the Greenstead roundabout to improve capacity, including introducing additional lanes on two sections.

The car park will have a total of 548 spaces.

A Sainsbury’s spokesman said: “We are looking forward to the outcome of our application at committee, and will continue to develop our plans for the new store at Colchester.

“We will keep the community informed as we move forward.”

The retailer has previously said the new store will not result in the closure of its town centre outlet in Priory Walk.

Tesco and Waitrose, which each have their own superstores nearby, have objected to the proposals.


Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other East Anglian Daily Times visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by East Anglian Daily Times staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique East Anglian Daily Times account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

CCTV of an aggrevated burgury in Bury St Edmunds

Police are hunting two tracksuited robbers who held up a branch of the Co-op last night.

Empty classroom

Education bosses in Suffolk have welcomed latest figures which mark the county’s highest school attendance record in the last decade.

David Wood, 61, from Woodbridge, went missing while walking in the French Alps in August. Pictured: David Wood and his Wife Valerie Armstrong

The wife of a Woodbridge man who went missing while walking in France three months ago says she has been ‘wrapped in a cloak of love’ by people in the town since his disappearance.

Having a shake after her wash and rub down - Julie Kemp

This week, our iwitness theme was water - a broad topic that was open to interpretation.

Celebrate Halloween at events across Suffolk.

It’s nearly Halloween and there is a variety of events across Suffolk this half term to keep your little monsters entertained no matter what their age.

Greenstead roundabout after its lick of paint

A roundabout has been given a new lease of life thanks to a revolutionary line-painting technique.

Corrie McKeague

It is exactly one month to the day since 23-year-old Corrie McKeague apparently vanished in Bury St Edmunds – yet people with potentially vital information still have not come forward.

Most read

Great Days Out


Click here to view
the Great Days Out


Most commented


Show Job Lists


Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

MyDate24 MyPhotos24