max temp: 13°C

min temp: 10°C

ESTD 1874 Search

Newmarket: Horseracing heritage centre could open by end of 2015

13:29 15 February 2013

The National Horseracing Museum in Newmarket.

The National Horseracing Museum in Newmarket.


BUILDING on the £14.3million Home of Horseracing National Heritage Centre could begin by next summer, it has been revealed.


Bosses at Forest Heath District Council yesterday gave final approval to the scheme in Newmarket’s High Street, subject to the last piece of funding being ratified.

The centre, which has been described as a “tourist destination for UK and international visitors” would see the restoration of the Palace House Stables and Trainer’s House, and could be open by the second half of 2015.

Warwick Hirst, Forest Heath Cabinet member for Health, Leisure and Culture, said: “This is a truly exciting project which will not only transform the centre of Newmarket but also significantly add to the town’s reputation as the worldwide tourist destination for anything to do with the world of horseracing.

“Over the years there has been a tremendous amount of hard work by the council, as site freeholder and staunch supporter of the project, and those individuals and organisations whose generosity has meant we have achieved the amount needed to start the ball rolling.”

The project, which will provide space for the collections of the British Sporting Art Trust and the Tate, will also become the flagship home for the Retraining of Racehorses charity, allowing the public to watch demonstrations and historic reconstructions.

The site will also see an enlarged library and new permanent galleries.

Peter Jensen, Chairman of the Home of Horseracing Trust, which is raising the funds for the project, said: “This is marvellous next step in realising the dream of creating a national heritage centre in the heart of the town worthy of international recognition and status as the historic home of horseracing.”

He added: “A huge amount of work has been going on behind the scenes to get to this stage and we are extremely excited about moving from planning the project to its delivery – we still have some funds to raise but with 95% secured we really are entering the last furlong with a final push needed to get us over the line. The economic regeneration for Newmarket that this represents really does make it a project for everyone.”

About £13.7m of the £14.3m project cost has been pledged and it is expected that a further £500,000 will be ratified in April.

Along with private donations, £4.25m has been awarded by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Forest Heath has contributed £1.3m while Suffolk County Council has pledged £1m.

Councillors were told that the centre is expected to attract between 40,000 and 50,000 people and provide an annual £1.8m boost to west Suffolk’s economy.

Speaking earlier this week, Matthew Hancock, MP for West Suffolk, praised the team behind the scheme and added:

“It will be a huge boost for Newmarket town centre and cement its place as the global headquarters of racing.”


1 comment

  • ...and the restaurant around the corner promises to serve the freshest Lasagne in Suffolk!!!

    Report this comment


    Friday, February 15, 2013

The large scale police operation in Potash Road, Wyverstone.

A village stalwart and chairman of a Suffolk parish council hid hundreds of illegal guns in a secret room at his house, a court heard.

The ice skating rink currently being installed in the Arc shopping centre in Bury St Edmunds

Limited parking capacity in Bury St Edmunds is set to be boosted by 420 extra spaces over the festive period after local brewer Greene King offered free use of its staff car park at weekends.

Kujtin Rexha was jailed for 11 years at Chelmsford Crown Court

Braintree man Kujtin Rexha has been jailed for 11 years for rape and holding a 17-year-old girl against her will for two and a half months.

The Suffolk Police Helicopter

Negotiations to reduce Suffolk’s cost for using the police helicopter have made ‘limited progress’, according to the county’s police and crime commissioner.

Four released from bail

Four suspects arrested after a double stabbing in Leiston which left a 16-year-old boy and a man needing hospital treatment will not face prosecution.

All services through Colchester are affected

All train services travelling through Colchester are facing severe disruption after the fire alarm was activated in a signal box.

Most read

Most commented

Topic pages

Local business directory

Our trusted business finder

Property search

e.g. Oxford or NW3
Powered by Zoopla

Digital Edition

Read the East Anglian Daily Times e-edition today E-edition

Great British Life

Great British Life
MyDate24 MyPhotos24