Parham: New building takes shape at airfield museum
PUBLISHED: 10:45 28 February 2014
It has been nearly 70 years since American airmen occupied part of a Suffolk farm during the Second World War - but a dedicated band of volunteers are still working hard to preserve their memory.
The team at Parham Airfield Museum, near Framlingham, have just reached a significant stage in the construction of a new building, designed in a style faithful to the history of the airfield but kitted out with modern day extras.
The £120,000 project began last September and was made possible by donations collected over the last 10 years, including contributions from the grantmaking Moller Foundation - established in the name of 390th Bombardment Group colonel Joseph Moller.
Windows and door fittings have now been installed at the new building, which will eventually house a new visitor complex with improved museum displays, disabled toilets and underfloor heating.
Publicity officer Bernard Smith said: “Hopefully, we’ll be all done and ready when we reopen in April. It’s coming along very well. Our president, Peter Kindred, has worked his socks off.”
Following completion of work on the new building, the museum hopes to convert an old tea room into a barrack quarters as they would have looked in 1943 and with photo displays of life on the base.
It is also hoped that the old library can be dedicated to airmen held as POWs.
The museum is always keen to recruit volunteers. Find out more at parhamairfieldmuseum.co.uk.