Update: Controlled explosion in relation to Wyverstone parish chairman gun probe

Police are continuing investigations at an address in Wyverstone following the discovery of a number of weapons at a home earlier this week.



Police are continuing investigations at an address in Wyverstone following the discovery of a number of weapons at a home earlier this week.

Monday, April 21, 2014
3:59 PM

A series of controlled explosions have taken place at an address in Wyverstone as part of an ongoing inquiry into a firearms probe.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

Sergeant Jon Turner said the explosions had been carried out to make safe “some product” that had been removed from the property during a police search.

“The bomb squad is dealing with it and all the local residents have been made aware,” he said.

A cordon remains in place at the scene and officers will remain on scene overnight.

Officers initially received a report on Sunday, April 13 that a woman in her 40s had been assaulted at a property there on March 27.

Police attended the address and a 49-year-old man from the Stowmarket area was arrested on suspicion of assault.

As part of the investigation, police carried out a search warrant at the property and discovered a number of weapons.

The explosion is to ensure that items found at the premises are safe.

An Army spokesman confirmed the Royal Logistics Corps’ Explosive Ordnance Device team, based at Colchester Garrison, were on the ground assisting Suffolk Police.

James Arnold, a 49-year-old man of Potash Road in Wyverstone, was charged with two counts of assault and four counts of possession of a prohibited weapon and appeared before Ipswich Magistrates Court earlier today, April 21.

Mr Arnold, chairman of Wyverstone parish council, entered no plea to the charge at Ipswich Magistrates’ Court this morning.

Police found a number of weapons during a search of his home.

The charge relates to an Uzi machine gun, an AK47 asault rifle, a bolt-action shotgun and a self-loading rifled gun.

The case is too serious for magistrates to deal with and has been sent to Ipswich Crown Court for a hearing on May 1.

No bail application was made and Arnold was remanded in custody until his next court appearance.

If convicted the minimum sentence for the charge is five years in prison.

Arnold also faces two assault charges, but was deemed unfit to plead today.

He will appear at Bury St Edmunds Magistrates’ Court on April 28 for a further hearing on the assault matters, also remanded in custody.

A 45-year-old woman from the Stowmarket area, who was arrested on suspicion of possession of a prohibited firearm, was interviewed by officers and has now been bailed to return to police on May 21.

0 comments

Comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other East Anglian Daily Times visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by East Anglian Daily Times staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Forgotten your password?

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique East Anglian Daily Times account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

loading...

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT