Suffolk/Norfolk: Counties in talks over burning waste from Norfolk at Blakenham incinerator

Great Blakenham Incinerator
Aerial Great Blakenham Incinerator Aerial

Friday, February 14, 2014
12:36 PM

Waste from Norfolk could be sent to Suffolk to be burned at the county’s new incinerator, the East Anglian Daily Times can reveal today.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

The Blakenham incinerator is nearing completion.The Blakenham incinerator is nearing completion.

The facility – or Energy from Waste plant – is nearing completion at Great Blakenham on the outskirts of Ipswich.

It is due to start operating during the summer and is expected to be able to handle all the county’s non-recyclable waste and have capacity to spare.

Now the county councillor with responsibility for the environment and planning, Richard Smith, has revealed that Suffolk is in talks to take some of Norfolk’s waste at the plant.

The leader of Norfolk County Council, George Nobbs, has confirmed that his authority is talking about sending 30,000 tonnes of waste a year to Blakenham for a limited period.

The news will add another twist to what has been the most toxic political debate in the region over the last few years – the proposed construction of an incinerator for Norfolk at Kings Lynn,

Mr Smith revealed that the two counties were in negotiations during yesterday’s budget-setting council meeting at Endeavour House in Ipswich.

When asked later about the talks he said: “I cannot say any more. It is an early stage.”

The incinerator at Blakenham is being built by Sita UK in partnership with the county council. Sita UK will operate the plant for 25 years.

During that time Suffolk is committed to providing 170,000 tonnes of non-recyclable waste a year to the plant. That is a similar amount to that currently sent to landfill from the county – but the amount produced in Suffolk is expected to fall as recycling rates increase.

The capacity of the plant is 269,000 tonnes a year and Sita UK is working with the county to find more sources of waste.

Test burning is due to start at Blakenham during the first half of this year, and the plant is expected to become fully operational by the autumn.

The deal with Norfolk could be followed up with similar deals with other local authorities or commercial businesses which need to dispose of waste.

Once the £180 million plant is open it should be able to generate enough electricity to power all the homes in Lowestoft – and should save Suffolk County Council £8 million a year in landfill taxes.

George Nobbs, leader of Norfolk County Council, said: “It is true we have had some informal talks with Suffolk and their contractors over dealing with 30,000 tonnes of waste.

“We have a contract which comes to an end in July and our officers have been talking to neighbours with a view to taking some of that waste at the end of that contract.

“It would only be temporary. It is in no way an alternative to the long-term solution.”

Mr Nobbs insisted that he was not embarrassed that a revelation about waste - which is one of the biggest political hot potatoes in Norfolk - had been made at a Suffolk County Council meeting, rather than at his own council.

He said: “In an ideal world I would have like this announcement to have come from Norfolk County Council and it seems someone from Suffolk has jumped the gun.

“But perhaps it is sign of the growing closeness of the relationship we have forged with Suffolk County Council that they felt able to talk about it.”

The county council says a solution is needed because a contract which sees waste put into landfill at Aldeby, near Beccles, is drawing to a close, with the tip on the brink of being filled.

The council confirmed, if a deal is struck with Suffolk to deal with the waste, lorries would be used to take the rubbish to the incinerator.

With Norfolk having to deal with 210,000 tonnes a year and the King’s Lynn incinerator due to take 170,000 tonnes a year, the council is keen to stress not all the county’s waste could be sent to Blakenham.

Communities secretary Eric Pickles has yet to make a decision on whether to allow planning permission for the £596m incinerator, while the government cancelled waste credits which would have been worth £169m during the lifetime of the contract with Anglo-US consortium Cory Wheelabrator.

4 comments

  • we have already taken in rubbish from other countries in Suffolk look at the high St so we don't want Norfolk rubbish also

    Report this comment

    pandy

    Friday, February 14, 2014

  • Well for a more seriouse answer. Obviously all is revealed, SCC and NCC link up was all about bailing out NCC over the fact that nobody in Norfolk would accept the risk of carcinogens from the smoke stack of these monsters. I accept we need to deal with our waste in Ipswich hence why I wouldn't object to the blant at Blakenham, which I saw very little news about at all when it was proposed. But it is unacceptable to start accepting waste from other counties, be that Norfolk or Essex. The planning permision should have if it did not limit where the waste can can from. The final point being that all the fuss and the ultimate destroying of Snoasis a complex that would have given 100's of jobs, rather than the 10 or 15 this plant will by people in Summersham yet they let this get built without a squeek. So my view is IBC as the town that has to put up with being downwind of this plant should tell SCC to tell NCC to go forth and build in Kings Lynn.

    Report this comment

    The Ginge

    Friday, February 14, 2014

  • Sensible to use as much of the capacity as possible. Seems like Norfolk is an obvious choice as it is the nearest source and would limit the road miles to deliver it.

    Report this comment

    amsterdam81

    Friday, February 14, 2014

  • Well for a more seriouse answer. Obviously all is revealed, SCC and NCC link up was all about bailing out NCC over the fact that nobody in Norfolk would accept the risk of carcinogens from the smoke stack of these monsters. I accept we need to deal with our waste in Ipswich hence why I wouldn't object to the blant at Blakenham, which I saw very little news about at all when it was proposed. But it is unacceptable to start accepting waste from other counties, be that Norfolk or Essex. The planning permision should have if it did not limit where the waste can can from. The final point being that all the fuss and the ultimate destroying of Snoasis a complex that would have given 100's of jobs, rather than the 10 or 15 this plant will by people in Summersham yet they let this get built without a squeek. So my view is IBC as the town that has to put up with being downwind of this plant should tell SCC to tell NCC to go forth and build in Kings Lynn.

    Report this comment

    The Ginge

    Friday, February 14, 2014

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

loading...

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT