Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 8°C

min temp: 7°C

ESTD 1874 Search

Region: Former Look East presenter Charlie Webster tells of teenage sex assault ordeal

14:39 15 January 2014

Charlie Webster

Charlie Webster

Television presenter Charlie Webster has revealed that she was sexually assaulted when she was a teenager.


The 31-year-old, a former sports presenter on BBC Look East and who now presents on Sky Sports and Sky Sports News, told BBC Radio 5 live’s Phil Williams the assaults were carried out by her running coach when she was 15.

Ms Webster said she was waiving her right to anonymity to “break the taboo about abuse as a whole”.

She is about to embark on a 250-mile, seven-day run to raise money and awareness for Women’s Aid, a charity which works to end domestic abuse against women and children.

“I got quite close to the running coach because you do,” she told the programme.

“You start to trust them when you’re a young kid, and he started to take me for a few private sessions because he said I was good and I could do with some extra sessions because that would really help.

“He took me into a private situation where no one else was... and then he abused my trust, and he abused the fact that I was an innocent person who wanted his support and his compassion and his care as my running coach.”

The man was later jailed for 10 years and put on the sex offenders register for life.

Ms Webster said he had been a “male role model” to her, important for a young child, but that he broke the trust of his position by taking it too far.

She said: “You should never touch a young girl anyway, but he very, very manipulatively and very slowly sexually assaulted me.

“It doesn’t matter how many times, (but) it happened, it happened a couple of times. You don’t realise, well I didn’t realise it was happening, because you trust that person and that trust is built up.”

Ms Webster said she did not tell anyone because she did not know then it was something she could report.

“I didn’t understand. I really lacked confidence. I didn’t know what he was doing was wrong,” she said, adding “Not one time in my head did I think I’m being sexually assaulted, because if I did, I would have done something about it.”

She said that it had been another, younger girl who began to record the abuse and took it to the police.

Ms Webster said that sexual abuse at the time was “one of these taboos, like domestic abuse is now”, that wasn’t spoken about. She said: “That’s why I’m here (on the radio) as well. It might help someone else bring it to light. I want to break the taboo about abuse as a whole.”

Ms Webster starts her 250-mile run on January 26.



Nick Alexander, who died in the Bataclan massacre, in Paris, France. Photo: Foreign & Commonwealth Office/PA Wire.

The singer from the Eagles of Death Metal has paid tribute to Nick Alexander for his selflessness during the massacre at the Paris theatre where 89 people died almost two weeks ago.

Could the Crown car park be replaced by a prefab platform like this one at Manningtree?

Should Ipswich Borough Council spend £3million on doubling the size of the Crown Car Park – or go the whole hog and quadruple it at a cost of about £12m?

The A134 at Assington.

This year’s death toll on Suffolk’s roads is now the worst since 2009 after six fatalities in the last 13 days, according to police figures.

The fire service cordons off an area near Marks and Spencer on Westgate Street where UK Power Networks works to find a gas leak.

A shop in Ipswich high street has been evacuated as carbon monoxide has been detected in the basement.

Bridge campaigners Peter and Mary Curry and Jane Welsh with Braintree MP James Cleverly,

A temporary replacement should be provided in Finchingfield while works are carried out on the main bridge – according to a council report from five years ago.

Artist's impression of the homes there were proposed for lane close to Poplar Lane, Sproughton.

Babergh district councillors last night said they had voted against officers’ advice and refused a 475-home development on the edge of Ipswich because its design was “appalling”.

Police at the scene of the alleged robbery

A 25-year-old man from south London who was arrested following a robbery at a convenience store in Claydon has been charged.

Most read

Most commented

Topic pages

Local business directory

Our trusted business finder

Property search

e.g. Oxford or NW3
Powered by Zoopla

Digital Edition

Read the East Anglian Daily Times e-edition today E-edition

Great British Life

Great British Life
MyDate24 MyPhotos24