max temp: 7°C

min temp: 3°C

ESTD 1874 Search

Rendlesham: Nighthawks may have raided Saxon treasure at Suffolk’s ‘village of the kings’

18:32 11 March 2014

Sutton Hoo burial grounds

Sutton Hoo burial grounds


Illicit treasure hunters may have stolen some of the most precious finds from the site of Suffolk’s “village of the kings”.

A picture takien during the 1960s dig at Sutton HooA picture takien during the 1960s dig at Sutton Hoo

County council archaeologists were only alerted to the site at Rendlesham after nighthawks – unauthorised people with metal detectors – had been discovered digging on the land, strongly believed to be where King Raedwald had his palace.

The official team immediately walked one field which had been raided illegally, but in the two days between the crop being harvested and a full survey beginning, it was looted again.

English Heritage says Suffolk has been one of the worst affected counties for nighthawks stealing items from known heritage sites.

One site, a Roman settlement at Icklingham, has been raided frequently in the last 30 years – as often as every couple of weeks at certain times of the year – and on one occasion more than 200 holes were dug in one incident.

Archaeologists began urgently investigating at Rendlesham, where it is now thought there was a site of a royal settlement, palace or gathering place for high-status Anglo-Saxon leaders, in 2008 after the landowner alerted them.

Writing in the Sutton Hoo Society magazine The Saxon, archaeological officer Jude Plouviez said: “Archaeologists hoped to survey the field that had been raided illegally, and which lay beyond the survey area originally intended, as a quick walk on it while under a crop of onions produced several handmade Anglo-Saxon pottery sherds, but access proved impossible for magnetometry as it had just been ploughed.

“It was surveyed by metal detector but in the two days between cultivation and survey, the field was looted again by the nighthawks.

“After this, the Suffolk unit’s detectorists were so keen to thwart the thieves that they worked on for a couple of days unpaid on the field north of the church, which was outside the budget for that year.”

Later five men were arrested.

She said the scale of what had been lost from the field was suggested by the stunning finds that were unearthed by her team.

One archaeologist has described the site – which has links with the Sutton Hoo ship burial – as “exceptional” and another told the EADT the site was “internationally significant” and would have been as big as Ipswich in the 7th Century.

English Heritage has called for tougher action to deal with nighthawks. It says night patrols, thermal imaging, distracters, seismic detectors and image intensifiers have all been employed in attempts to stop the activity, but wants tougher punishments to deter.

A Suffolk police spokeswoman said: “Any site that may be of interest to criminals will be given extra attention by police and additional patrols will be made as appropriate.

“We would also ask that any residents or road users call police using 999 if they notice any suspicious activity. It is important that you call us immediately if you see anything unusual so officers can respond quickly.”

An exhibition of some of the treasures unearthed at Rendlesham will open on Saturday at the National Trust’s visitor centre at Sutton Hoo.

They will include fragments of exquisite gold jewellery, Saxon pennies and weights associated with trade, and metal offcuts from a smith’s workshop.

Martin Payne, the National Trust’s learning and interpretation officer at Sutton Hoo, said: “This exhibition will, for the first time, allow people to rediscover Anglo-Saxon Rendlesham and gain further insight into the Anglo-Saxons who buried their kings at Sutton Hoo.

“It is a unique and exciting opportunity to find out about how those kings and their dependents spent their days and lived their lives.

“It is a relatively small exhibition, with around 70 small objects on show, but the finds are of huge historical and archaeological significance and well worth seeing.

“Looking at these objects up close you really do get a feel for the people who once lived here, more than 1,300 years ago.”

The new discoveries are being temporarily housed at Sutton Hoo before moving to a new, purpose-built permanent exhibition space at Ipswich Museum.

Related articles


1 comment

  • To call these thieves "treasure hunters" gives them an almost romantic character when in fact these selfish and vile people are thieves and that is the end of the matter. This is one of the English nation's earliest archaeological sites which may yet reveal much more of the sophisticated culture of our ancestors if excavations were left to the professionals.

    Report this comment

    Steve Blake

    Tuesday, March 11, 2014

East Anglian Air Ambulance

The A134 at Assington is closed in both directions due to a serious single-vehicle crash.

The police investigation centre in Martlesham.

One woman was taken to hospital and 20 other people into police custody today after they were discovered in a lorry container.

Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne leaves the Treasury in London for the House of Commons, where Osborne will deliver his Autumn Statement. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Picture date: Wednesday December 3, 2014. See PA story BUDGET Main. Photo credit should read: Hannah McKay/PA Wire

Chancellor George Osborne will declare a crisis in home ownership as he unveils a raft of measures he claims will see 400,000 new homes built across England.

Man who appeared drunk in Sudbury taken to hospital.

A man was taken to hospital after he was seen staggering in a road in Sudbury.

Izzy Alder

An 18-year-old woman who failed to arrive at school today has been found.

Tidal Surge around Suffolk's coast has caused major disruptions. Huge waves crash over sea defences in Southwold.

A predicted combination of high spring tides and strong winds from the north-west later this week has sparked a warning of potential flooding in coastal Suffolk.

Undated handout photo issued by ITV of Kieron Dyer who has been revealed as one of the contestants for I'm A Celebrity ... Get Me Out Of Here! 2015. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Issue date: Tuesday November 10, 2015. Also among the 10-strong line-up is Diana Princess of Wales biographer Lady Colin Campbell, fashion guru Susannah Constantine, Spandau Ballet's Tony Hadley, TV personality Yvette Fielding, X Factor choreographer Brian Friedman and Union J's George Shelley. See PA story SHOWBIZ Celebrity. Photo credit should read: ITV/PA Wire

NOTE TO EDITORS: This handout photo may only be used in for editorial reporting purposes for the contemporaneous illustration of events, things or the people in the image or facts mentioned in the caption. Reuse of the picture may require further permission from the copyright holder.

Kieron Dyer was given a rare night of luxury after winning a stay at the Jungle Boutique Hotel, but tensions are running high in the I’m a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here camp.


Community leaders have chosen the organisation which will provide activities for the young people of a Suffolk market town as part of a £60,000-plus youth project.

Issy Mead celebrates Christmas

Each year, Stacy Mead proudly posts photos of her heavily adorned Christmas tree on Facebook, just like hundreds of other mum’s excitedly awaiting the arrival of that one magical day.

Most read

Most commented

Topic pages

Local business directory

Our trusted business finder

Property search

e.g. Oxford or NW3
Powered by Zoopla

Digital Edition

Read the East Anglian Daily Times e-edition today E-edition

Great British Life

Great British Life
MyDate24 MyPhotos24