Overcast

Overcast

max temp: 20°C

min temp: 18°C

Search

Saxmundham: Consultation evening planned for free school’s proposals

PUBLISHED: 10:00 12 July 2012

Rob Cawley, principal designate for the Seckford Foundation Free Schools Trust

Rob Cawley, principal designate for the Seckford Foundation Free Schools Trust

Archant

A NEW free school is preparing to showcase its proposals for a potential refurbishment and extension.

Saxmundham Free School will be holding a pre-planning consultation evening for changes to the Saxmundham Middle School site.

The free school has been given the green light to open in September and those behind the project are now inviting members of the public to have their say on its proposed alterations.

The Seckford Foundation Free Schools Trust will be opening the free school on the site of the current middle school, which is set to close this month as Suffolk County Council moves from a three to a two-tier education system in the Suffolk Coastal area.

Bosses say that to increase capacity, work to refurbish and extend the existing school will be required.

Refurbishment works will be completed in time for the start of the academic year but a planning application will be submitted in August for a proposed extension, the building of which would take approximately one year.

Rob Cawley, principal designate of the Seckford Foundation Free Schools Trust, said: “Key stakeholders have been working on this project and the group is now satisfied the proposals are sufficiently advanced to share with the public.

“This pre-planning consultation stage will form part of the design development and provides the chance to comment on and influence the many decisions and choices still to be made.

“We are particularly interested to hear views on the appearance of the building, access arrangements and how its facilities could enhance the local community provision.”

The consultation evening will provide a chance to view details of the proposals, while representatives will also be available to answer questions.

Earlier this month the Seckford Foundation Free Schools Trust confirmed that 98 pupils have enlisted for a place at the free school – although they stressed this number was changing all the time with applications still coming in.

It will initially accept youngsters aged from 11 to 14 (years 7, 8 and 9) but by 2014 years 10 and 11 will also be included.

The consultation event is being held on Thursday, July 19, between 3.30pm and 7pm at Saxmundham Middle School in Seaman Avenue.

Alternatively further details can be found at www.saxmundhamfreeschool.org.uk.

Related articles

A business owner and grandmother whose bag was stolen at a local supermarket has spoken of her ordeal

Hundreds of workers across Suffolk and Essex are claiming Universal Credit as their low wages are not enough to live on.

Car thefts in Suffolk increased by 14% last year, according to latest police figures.

Thousands of people cheered on major music acts as they took to the stage at the first ever RiZE Festival in Essex.

A motorist caught speeding on the A140 in Suffolk was arrested on suspicion of drug driving, police have said.

Detectives investigating an assault in Bury St Edmunds – in which two men suffered serious injuries – believe it was a targeted attack.

From cute hedgehogs to a funny street name - have we included your tweet?

Most read

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

MyDate24 MyPhotos24