Rain

Rain

max temp: 7°C

min temp: 6°C

Search

Serial killer set for appeal hearing

PUBLISHED: 12:00 19 February 2009 | UPDATED: 09:21 15 March 2010

Steve Wright

Steve Wright

STEVE Wright's supporters believe the serial killer's leave to appeal hearing at the Royal Courts of Justice is now likely to go-ahead next week.

STEVE Wright's supporters believe the serial killer's leave to appeal hearing at the Royal Courts of Justice is now likely to go-ahead next week.

It had been thought the case would be taken out of the Court of Appeal's list and the 50-year-old's legal team would pursue his case through the Criminal Cases Review Commission (CCRC).

However, his brother David said he feels it is likely the hearing will now take place. If it does, an application for an adjournment will be made on behalf of the man known as the Suffolk Strangler.

David Wright said if his brother's team did not attend the hearing he understood this would mean a second and final attempt for leave to appeal would be automatically denied. Therefore it was important to press ahead.

However, should all legal avenues fail Wright, formerly of London Road, Ipswich, would then go to the CCRC.

David Wright also revealed he is planning to use forensic specialists in America in his efforts to prove his brother is innocent of the killings of Tania Nicol, Gemma Adams, Anneli Alderton, Paula Clennell and Annette Nicholls. The women were murdered between October and December 2006 in a case which transfixed the nation.

David Wright, who lives near Bury St Edmunds, said: “We are now asking for the full unedited autopsy, toxicology and pathology reports which I'm looking to send to scientists in America.”

Currently Steve Wright is fighting to get his choice of legal representation at the Court of Appeal hearing scheduled for next Tuesday.

He is said to be making his requests from his cell in Long Lartin top security prison, Worcestershire, to appoint a 'McKenzie friend' to speak on his behalf. A 'McKenzie friend' is a layperson who can represent the appellant.

David Wright revealed Patrick Cullinane, who has been in touch with his family since Steve Wright's conviction, would be prepared to represent him. Over the years Mr Cullinane has gained a reputation for challenging the authorities.

Although David Wright added he feels that ultimately the CCRC will be their best hope of getting a retrial, if an appeal against conviction is successful his brother's team will be granted legal aid. They will then look to appoint a top barrister.

David Wright said he had already contacted William Clegg, who overturned Barry George's conviction for killing TV presenter Jill Dando.

Striking new images are being unveiled of a major development proposed for the heart of Ipswich which could see restaurants, a hotel and a tower block built opposite Cardinal Park.

Firefighters have attended a “rescue” in Ipswich.

Three residents at an Essex care home suffered smoke inhalation after a fire broke out in a bedroom causing extensive damage to the building.

Firefighters have been called to a blaze in a residential street in Ipswich.

An appeal has been launched to find an Essex man wanted in connection with a failure to appear at court.

The University of Essex is among more than 60 institutions set for strike action next month over pensions – however staff at the University of Suffolk are not expected to take part.

The care received by patients was assessed by an independent panel

Most read

Eating Out in the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Eating Out
supplement

View

Visit the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Visit the Broads
supplement

View

London Boat Show 2018

cover

Click here to view
London Boat
Show supplement

View

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24