Shops evacuated in Colchester town centre following ‘gas leak’
PUBLISHED: 11:21 13 February 2018 | UPDATED: 12:28 13 February 2018
Four town centre shops in Colchester have been evacuated this morning due a suspected gas leak.
Fire crews were called to the scene, in Long Wyre Street, at around 9.55am today, Tuesday, February 13.
A spokesman for Essex County Fire Service said: “On arrival, crews reported that a fuse board in a shop was smoking and immediately evacuated the premises, as well as three other adjacent stores, as a precaution.”
Firefighters have set up a 60 metre cordon while the area is made safe by the Gas Board.
They have advised the public to avoid the area if possible.
Officers from Essex Police are also on scene to assist with the road closure.
At 11.30am, a spokesman confirmed both the gas and electricity board had arrived and were helping firefighters in making the scene safe.
A spokesman later added that firefighters left the scene in the hands of the electricity board at 11.56am, after using thermal imaging cameras to ensure that were no hotspots in the area that could pose a risk.