Sunny

Sunny

max temp: 13°C

min temp: 8°C

Search

Sizewell: Head of emergency planning admits nuclear accident consultation documents could have been thrown out as ‘junk’ mail

PUBLISHED: 12:00 16 February 2013

The site of Sizewell A and B

The site of Sizewell A and B

© Mike Page all rights reserved. Before any use is made of this image including display, publication, broadcast, syndication or web, permission must be obtained in writing.

DOCUMENTS outlining plans to protect the community in the event of a major nuclear accident at Sizewell could have ended up in domestic bins, Suffolk’s head of emergency planning has acknowledged.

Ten thousand copies of the documents – inviting comments on a revised off-site emergency plan – were sent to homes within and just outside a 4km radius of the nuclear site. But the envelopes were not individually addressed and were only marked “Important Documents” – similar to markings on a range of “junk” mail.

A proportion may have ended up unopened in bins, emergency planning chief Andy Osman has conceded following criticism of the way the consultation has been handled.

“Royal Mail gave us a range of possible markings but in retrospect it may have been better to clearly identify the documents as relating to the Sizewell emergency plan review,” he said.

The draft plan suggests the current 2.4km zone – the area for which detailed emergency plans exist – is expanded to 4km to include the whole of the town of Leiston and an overall population of 6,500. The current zone covers only a small part of the town and a resident and working population of just 800 people.

So far, the public consultation, which ends on April 8, has attracted more than 100 responses from people by post and 75 online. Local councils and other organisations are also giving their comments.

Mr Osman said he hopes more people will give their views. All would be taken into account in drafting a final version of the plan for approval by the Office for Nuclear Regulation (ONR), he said.

People are invited to attend a “drop-in” session at Leiston Sports and Social Club between 3-7pm on Wednesday. The proposed new emergency plans will be on display and it is hoped officials from both ONR and the Department for Energy and Climate Change will be present to answer questions.

Extra copies of the consultation documents can be ordered by telephoning 01473 265321.

0 comments

Officers investigating the circumstances of a crash which killed an 18-year-old woman are appealing for information from drivers.

Classical and mezzo-soprano superstar Katherine Jenkins is the latest addition to the line-up for Latitude this summer.

Taxpayers forked out more than £1million on cars for Suffolk council workers this year, latest figures show.

Community groups and good causes across Suffolk and north Essex have just one week left to apply for a share of a £60,000 pot from Comic Relief.

An outdoor cinema screen showing classic movies and live Wimbledon action is returning to Colchester this July.

Health chiefs have spent a “substantial” amount of cash refurbishing a building once owned by a crisis-hit Suffolk nursing home in a bid to give it a fresh start.

The National Heritage Centre for Horseracing and Sporting Art at Palace House in Newmarket has been shortlisted for a prestigious national award just five months after it was opened officially by The Queen.

Most read

Eating Out in the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Eating Out
supplement

View

Visit the Broads

cover

Click here to view
the Visit the Broads
supplement

View

Most commented

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24